broke down bus...help?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

scottie78champagne
I'm New!

broke down bus...help?

Post by scottie78champagne » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:08 am

I own a 78 westy 2.0 f.i., I have had the bus about three weeks. Have put 350 mi. on it no problem. On the way to our campsite the bus would suddenly just die, and would take several attempts to start by popping the clutch (I was doing 60 and it was cold and raining). Anyway after I got to the campground it died at the gate and would not start back. After we sat up camp and a few beers I tried to start the bus. It started ran for 5 min and sputtered and died and would not start back for another 30-45 min. I checked to make sure it has gas, new points, reset timing, vacuum leaks etc. Still does the same thing even when the motor is cold. I am almost ready to go buy a carb setup and be done with the F.I. I am going to bring her home one way or another this weekend under her own power. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone lives near hot springs,NC right outside of asheville and would like to make a few bucks I need some help. I know this was long I needed to vent!!! :pukeleft:

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 am

Make sure the plug is in the AFM unit on the back of it.

Have a good look around for poor vacuum line connections.

Get a piece of fuel line about 3-4' long (7mm or 5/16") will be fine and tap it into the fuel rail test port with clamps on the 3/4 side of the engine. I like the long hose so that I don't have to do it in the engine compartment.

See if it will pump out about 1L of fuel in 30 seconds. If it doesn't, try changing out the fuel filter, it is white and square and plastic. Cut the old one up and see what is in there...like rust from your fuel tank.

A fuel pressure gauge would be handy to have......been here?

viewtopic.php?t=213
79 VW Bus

scottie78champagne
I'm New!

Thanks for the reply!

Post by scottie78champagne » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 am

I am going to get a psi guage, and a multi-meter. Also I have been reading up on the fi system. What do you think about cold start valve, pressure regulator, temp sensor II etc. I was going to buy one of each before I go back down to bring her home. A fuel filter sounds much better!!! :bom:

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:21 am

Make sure you have your Bentley manual with you.

Don't worry about the cold start valve. If you think that is leaking, just bypass it with some extra fuel line.

A FPR is about $100 and I would see if I could borrow a known good spare before I bought one, that I may not need. Do the test with the vacuum line to it hooked up and then removed. Perhaps one of your bus buddies down there has a spare they would loan you?

At $20 a Temp Sensor II is something I like to keep as a spare in my toolbox, so buy one of these to have. If not now, in the future.

You have this don't you?

http://manuals.type4.org/ljet/

This L-tronic is really pretty simple by todays standards

When you are testing at the ECU "big plug" make sure the prongs in the plug have not been pushed in. That can drive you crazy in a short time.
79 VW Bus

scottie78champagne
I'm New!

Post by scottie78champagne » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 am

No I did not have that. It is very helpful I think I can handle this now. I will be going down tommorow and will let you know how it goes thanks a ton!!!!

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:11 am

Change my #2 temperature sensor did wonders for me. I was experiencing problems with cold start-ups and immediate dying. Stick with the FI and take the time to get things sorted out - you'll be rewarded with a great running vehicle. It sounds like you are on the right track with stocking up on spare electronic parts (temp sensor, double relay, cold start). I even have a spare AFM, though they are a bit spendy...

Good luck!
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Re: broke down bus...help?

Post by energyturtle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm

I was reading and ran across this old post of mine. Oh how the time has passed. My knowledge has grown tremendously, although I wish I could say the same about my wallet, as it has shrunk. This just brought back a memory of my first break down. For those who have helped along the way, you know the rest of the story. To revive this old post I stated the problem and here was the solution......faulty coil. By the way I still have the F.I. and try to talk everyone into staying with original. I have not had a F.I. issue since, or any problem for that matter because damn near every component on the entire bus is brand new. =D>
I asked for help, and I got it. Ready for the next build.