34 PICT-3 carbs: Pierburg? Bocar?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:36 pm

If Keith doesn't get back to me in a couple of days, I may have to buy one of those. Of course, my last Bocar lasted 1,000 miles. I kind of expect more than that out of a carb.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:00 pm

static wrote:If Keith doesn't get back to me in a couple of days, I may have to buy one of those. Of course, my last Bocar lasted 1,000 miles. I kind of expect more than that out of a carb.
Reread Willie's post, not sure they bonked out at 1k. Might just be awkward wording.

williebus
I'm New!

Post by williebus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:54 am

Re; 1000 miles

The Pierburg is still working fine, no problems.

OB Bus

Post by OB Bus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Here is my experience.

New H30/31 Bocal/Brosul on 1600 SP. Worked fine out of the box but started leaking from the throttle shafts at about 5000 miles.
Decided to purchase a rebuilt OG Solex from a guy on TS...maybe Ricahrd Carey? Anyway his carbs are beautiful. BUT I went oh-for-three getting one that worked. Each exchange meant another 2 weeks of mailing time with the bus down. I finally get him to refund my money only after promising not to leave neg feedback on TS.
Bought another H 30/31 that worked fine for the 2500 miles until I replaced the SP engine with a DP.
DP had a new 34 Brosul/Bocar. If has been reliable and leak free for about 9000 miles. The jets that came with it were "all wrong" according to the mechnic, he changed them and it has run fine.

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:13 pm

OB Bus wrote:Here is my experience.

New H30/31 Bocal/Brosul on 1600 SP. Worked fine out of the box but started leaking from the throttle shafts at about 5000 miles.
Decided to purchase a rebuilt OG Solex from a guy on TS...maybe Ricahrd Carey? Anyway his carbs are beautiful. BUT I went oh-for-three getting one that worked. Each exchange meant another 2 weeks of mailing time with the bus down. I finally get him to refund my money only after promising not to leave neg feedback on TS.
Bought another H 30/31 that worked fine for the 2500 miles until I replaced the SP engine with a DP.
DP had a new 34 Brosul/Bocar. If has been reliable and leak free for about 9000 miles. The jets that came with it were "all wrong" according to the mechnic, he changed them and it has run fine.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... y&start=60

Richard Carey started the carb rebuild service then turned it over to another fellow... Dean Elmer I think was his name.... anyway after a while
I think he/they did not want to keep up with it and disappeared. That is about the time I decided to give it a go and step in and see if I could fill a niche in a small market. I actually did some "warranty" work for several who were let down by that builder even though I did not have too.

Karma seemed like a good way to start things out though. I may not get every carb/deal I send out perfect the first time either but my ratio is pretty good and at least I am still around to back up my stuff. :flower: :geek:

Joe "static" and I had a few phone calls today and I am going to send him a reworked carb/distributor combo... I hope he will have good things to say when he gets them installed.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:26 pm

Yes, keifernet had to listen to me lamely trying to explain what had gone wrong, carb wise. He was very patient. He came up with a solution involving the exchange of some of his parts for some of my money, which I agreed to without hesitation.

Thanks to the god of PayPal, money is now in his hands and shiny new parts are on the way, thanks to Priority Mail.

The boys at The Buslab will take over from here, because if I try to do something even as simple as replace the carb, I will never be able to get it running again. (No, really. I am trouble with a 13 mm wrench)

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:22 am

50k miles on a Bocar with three or four idle speed and no mixture adjustments... Luck? :king:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:27 am

DjEep wrote:50k miles on a Bocar with three or four idle speed and no mixture adjustments... Luck? :king:
Living right for sure! =D>

Bocar's are a crap shoot NEW out of the box... I get/take some in trade and am happier when I get an older, not so shiny, gold hardware fading one in... means it was like yours... a runner and had some miles on it.

Good candidate for rebuild. The pristine ones often end up not working out ( see previous post description of "DUD" :blackeye: )

If they respond to rebush ( the factory bushing material is suspect) and rebuild then they are a decent carb. ( depending on the distributor) I'd rather have one of my rebuilt ones than a new one. :geek:

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:36 pm

static wrote:Yes, keifernet had to listen to me lamely trying to explain what had gone wrong, carb wise. He was very patient. He came up with a solution involving the exchange of some of his parts for some of my money, which I agreed to without hesitation.

Thanks to the god of PayPal, money is now in his hands and shiny new parts are on the way, thanks to Priority Mail.

The boys at The Buslab will take over from here, because if I try to do something even as simple as replace the carb, I will never be able to get it running again. (No, really. I am trouble with a 13 mm wrench)
What happened? I show the box delivered on Friday before noon? Did it make it on time to be installed? Just curious since I have not heard.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:47 pm

My shop can't have at it before Tuesday, and I don't want to do it myself, because I will f**k it up trying to get the back nut off and the shop will make everything just right. I also want the probe to be shoved up its exhaust pipe.

Meanwhile, I am sulking at home.

As soon as something worthwhile happens, I will crow all about it here.

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:07 pm

static wrote:My shop can't have at it before Tuesday, and I don't want to do it myself, because I will f**k it up trying to get the back nut off and the shop will make everything just right. I also want the probe to be shoved up its exhaust pipe.

Meanwhile, I am sulking at home.

As soon as something worthwhile happens, I will crow all about it here.
Well I hope it's that and not "damn keifer sold me some crap" LOL :geek: :drunken: :blackeye:

Sorry the circumstances did not allow me to get it to you any sooner.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:57 pm

The new carb and distributor are in and the bus runs again!

I drive it across town during rush hour, and then home on the freeway during rush hour, so I don't really have a handle on it yet, but : so far so good.

Thanks for everyone's help!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:56 am

Right on! Glad to hear that you have yer wheels back.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"