34 PICT-3 carbs: Pierburg? Bocar?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

static
IAC Addict!

34 PICT-3 carbs: Pierburg? Bocar?

Post by static » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:27 pm

I have been having problems with brand new Bocar 34 PICT-3 carbs.

When they are new, everything is OK.

However, shortly thereafter (~1000 miles) the damn things fail in one way or another. The shop that I patronize has been very nice about swapping them out for a new one at no charge, but this has gotten ridiculous. I don't really want to say how many different carbs have been on this bus within the last two years. I know that I have set a record.

Anyway, the most recent carb has decided that it doesn't want to idle at a stop sign any longer.

To make matters worse, each of my mechanic gurus has an entirely different solution to the problem.

From several different, veteran, old-school mechanics, I have heard:

"I never have any problems with Bocar carbs"

"These Bocars are junk"

"Just get a Solex rebuilt" ($$$)

"Believe it or not, the Pierburg carbs are pretty good"

I am now thinking of learning how to rebuild these suckers myself, but I really don't think that anyone should have so many carb problems. Or, I may want to buy a Pierburg or EMPI (yes, I know, I know) carb. (and no, I have no idea what happened to my old German Solex)

So as I get even more confused, what do you think I oughta do?

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:59 pm

I am now thinking of learning how to rebuild these suckers myself
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Get an original Solex and have it re-bushed by Keifernet. Then, either he or you can do the rest of the rebuild.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:25 pm

But why would a rebuilt Solex be better than a new Bocar?

Wouldn't the rebuilding kit be the same as what is on the new Bocar?

Assuming that the bushings are fine, where would the actual difference be?

And what about the Chinese-made Pierburgs? They are supposed to be better than a Bocar.

Color me stupid and confused.

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:59 am

I can't chime in on the Pierburg but both our bug and bus have Bocar and they have worked well for more then 10 years. I have had to put rebuild kits in maybe twice. I do have a german carb, but it's waiting for time and money for rebuild. The german carbs to me are the way to go. The Bocars have never run as smooth as the german, they just don't idle as nice or get as good mpg. :profileleft:

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:32 am

I had a Bocar on my '71 Beetle. After only a few years/miles of use, the throttle plate bushings were so worn that they dripped gas down the sides of the carb.

Then, the rear mounting stud pulled completely through the cast flange of the carb.

Piece o' crap!!! :pukeleft:

I'm just afraid that the castings and drillings in any of the new carbs are not going to match the original Solex quality. Fix the one wear-point on an old Solex, the bushings, and you've got a well-built carb.
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:07 pm

I would also rather have a rebuild by keith German Solex than a new bocar, peterburg or whatever.

The one he rebuilt for my friend here is a sweet little unit. Her car has never run better.
79 VW Bus

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 pm

I am now trying to round up a German Solex via eBay for rebuilding.

In the meanwhile, what experience does anyone have with Chinese-made Pierburg carbs? Who here has used one?
(German Supply sells them, so they can't be that bad.)

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Forget e-bay, just send him a PM.

He is going to ask you for a distributor number also.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:30 pm

static wrote:I am now trying to round up a German Solex via eBay for rebuilding.

In the meanwhile, what experience does anyone have with Chinese-made Pierburg carbs? Who here has used one?
The engineering of an original Solex is vastly superior to these replacement carbs. You would be surprised at how sophisticated a carburetor is, not so much in number of parts or mechanical complexity, but in spot-on accuracy of orifice drillings through pot metal castings.

Some of these replacement carbs have no fricken idea how to keep the casting plugs from falling out. Then you get gas spew. Also, the porosity of the castings themselves appears to be junkier with the aftermarket stuff. A good dense original Solex, a good starting point for rebuilding.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
static wrote:I am now trying to round up a German Solex via eBay for rebuilding.

The engineering of an original Solex is vastly superior to these replacement carbs. You would be surprised at how sophisticated a carburetor is, not so much in number of parts or mechanical complexity, but in spot-on accuracy of orifice drillings through pot metal castings.

Some of these replacement carbs have no fricken idea how to keep the casting plugs from falling out. Then you get gas spew. Also, the porosity of the castings themselves appears to be junkier with the aftermarket stuff. A good dense original Solex, a good starting point for rebuilding.
Colin
That is where most of the "new" carbs that have issues fail IMHO and experience as well...

I have seen brand new Bocar, Brosol, Pierburg, Kafer, and Empi all DUD's straight out of the box no matter what I have tried ( all the tricks I know) to get them to run right... it can only be the above mentioned drillings that are causing the issues.

On the other hand everyone wants the German Solex over any of the above carbs but in reality there are probably a * few of the new that do cut the mustard... for a period of time. BUT I sincerely doubt they can/will hold up anywhere near as well as an old German Solex rebushed and rebuilt with care and attention to detail. In fact I have seen several of the Chinese ones come my way for rebush in a VERY short period of miles ( 3- 5000)

AND you take your "non refundable" chances with many vendors when you do buy them.

While I don't like the Chinese made copies at all...I won't totally trash the rep of all Bocar and or H 30/31 Solex Brosol carbs though.

I get many of them back in trade and in core lots I purchase and I have a good success rate on the H 30/31 in particular on rebuilds.

I have also managed to get some good running Bocar 34 pict 3's out of the core/trades that * IF they pass muster after a rebuild and test seem to run just as well as some of the German ones... but matching them to vacuum distributors get's tricky.

I have had some satisfied customers buy them who are in a pinch and want the cheapest thing going that works for the money.

Thanks for the props guys. Static has contacted me and I hope to get a deal struck with him to get him the carb he and his bus deserve. I am more than willing to help any of you with your carb needs.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:21 am

Hmmm.

I have the above post. I have a Solex core to send in. I have some money saved up. I have a bus that won't idle.

Now, all I need is for a certain someone to let me pay him so that he will send me a rebuilt carb. Which I need.

Earth to keifernet! Come in, keifernet! Can you read me?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:52 am

PM him on thesamba.com

You'll need to get a USPS money order for whatever he quoted you and include it with your shipment, and a copy of his message with your quoted price.
Don

78 Westy

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:26 am

vwlover77 wrote:PM him on thesamba.com.
Did that a few days ago. He must be swamped at work with his "real" job.

williebus
I'm New!

Post by williebus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:38 pm

I bought the Piersburg from CIP (yeah, its made in China) and it was worked very well for about 1000 miles. Before I installed it, I pulled the jets out and found them to be way off. I think the main was a 113? Something like that. Other than that the quality seems good.