1977 Bus - Engine dies

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

1977 Bus - Engine dies

Post by James Dwan » Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 am

...in the left lane in rush hour near downtown Dallas with no shoulder. Talk about a sinking feeling......
I was cruizing along doing 70 mph in the fast lane and felt the engine miss. It was only a second then it kept running while I was thinking of what it could be the engine died as I was going up the hill!
I tried to down shift to pop start it and couldn't find 3rd, so I put on the hazards and just sat there, no shoulder cause of the HOV...wondering how I was gonna get my bus off the highway in rush hour with people whizzing by me.
Then I saw the familiar bright blue flashy lights in my rearview. Before I got out I tried to start the engine and it started! I jumped out of the bus, hair all down and looking subversive and stuff, he was cool and he blocked traffic so I could get over to the next exit. I waved and he honked and sped off.
I remember at the Classic my clutch cable was loose as hell and I adjusted it before the cruise. Hopefully it was just hyper extended and needs replacement instead of the transmission...
Thoughts?
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Engine died on the way to work this morning...

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 13, 2008 6:36 am

James Dwan wrote: felt the engine miss. at the Classic my clutch cable was loose
Thoughts?
Run through wires that may be loose or have poor connections. Check fuel pump circuit as well, where the pump grounds. Ignition switch can get intermittant.

These kinds of intermittant failures can be difficult to trace down.

I don't think a loose clutch cable adjustment will relate to your above symptoms.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue May 13, 2008 7:15 am

It does sound electrical. Either a bad connection, or even a bad ignition switch. Try wiggling the key with it running.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Engine died on the way to work this morning...

Post by dtrumbo » Tue May 13, 2008 7:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:Ignition switch can get intermittant.
Check to make sure the black plastic plug for the ignition switch located at the base of the steering column is FIRMLY plugged in. There are three, one for the ignition switch, one for the turn signal switch and one for the wiper switch, check 'em all. It's quick, easy and could possibly fix your problem.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Tue May 13, 2008 7:41 am

Thanks for all the replies. I did check the coil wire when I got to work but did not think about the ignition switch. It was replaced 5 months ago and could have jiggled loose. I'll look at it after work.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Wed May 14, 2008 6:02 am

Well it turns out it was a fuel delivery problem, never had one that severe. I replaced the fuel filter then drove 80 mph for a mile - no problem.
The ironic thing is, I had the fuel filter on the bench for a week! I was gonna put itn last Saturday but was helping a friend do a body swap on some fast backs he found then drove several hours on Mother's Day and figured I'd do it this weekend cause I was too worn out. Glad it didn't happen on the way back with just me and my 1 year old in the Bus. I am putting my spare fuel filter in the bus this afternoon!
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe