81 vanagon new fuel pump is loud

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

orng bus driver
I'm New!

81 vanagon new fuel pump is loud

Post by orng bus driver » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:48 pm

I just had a new fuel pump installed because the garage said it needed it. I was in the process of buying the vanagon long distance and I went along with their suggestion. Back when I test drove this vanagon (with the old fuel pump working) I dont remember hearing the fuel pump, but maybe I wasnt listening good. Now it is more than a slight whirr, it is more like a whinning that I can hear over and above the idling engine. Is this normal? If so, I need to invest in a $400 sound system to overcome the decibles of my $400 fuel pump. Should I be able to hear it that much? and should it shut off when the engin stahls, cuz it doesnt shut off.
Bob
Orng Bus Driver

81 VANAGON 'Ornj Bus' (air cooled)
86 HUNTER 25.5 'Watercolors' (air powered)

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:42 pm

No, you should not hear it.

Yes, it should be off when the engine stalls. It only runs when you crank the engine or the AFM flap has moved because of air flow.

Take it back. They need to fix it to operate correctly and replace it to make it quiet.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:55 pm

Thay will run loud if the fuel flow is restricted, either by a clogged filter or gunk in the tank blocking the flow down the fuel line (ask me how I know! :blackeye: I wasted money replacing the pump when my problem was debris in the tank....)

And yes, it should turn off if the engine stalls, due to the contacts in the AFM.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

orng bus driver
I'm New!

Post by orng bus driver » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:56 am

Thanks for the information, guys. The garage that installed it will most likely say 'bring er in n wheel have a look see'. (':pirate:')
But I'm screwed since the garage is in California and I'm not. (':pale:') It's only money. (':pukeleft:')
Bob
Orng Bus Driver

81 VANAGON 'Ornj Bus' (air cooled)
86 HUNTER 25.5 'Watercolors' (air powered)

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 am

Is the pump cold to the touch? It should be or it is not being cooled adequately from the fuel it is pumping.

Usually the problem is rust in the tank and /or fuel filters.
79 VW Bus