1981 Vanagon - Engine sputters and coughs but wont start

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

orng bus driver
I'm New!

1981 Vanagon - Engine sputters and coughs but wont start

Post by orng bus driver » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:35 am

My new 81 Vanagon just arrived via transporter ('=D>')
from SoCal. to Ohio (I mention the move because it might have something to do with the problem; I know I would sputter and spit if somebody moved me that direction). It has spent most of its life in the LA area.
Got it off the trailer in Ohio and it was hard starting at first but it eventually did, but idled very low.
Drove it for 10 miles or so and it was ok. The next time I drove it later the same day, it sometimes had no guts above 3000 or so rpm. Then a little later it woudnt start. The battery was strong and I guess it was the new fuel pump that I was hearing, (I heard something whirring away any time the key was on,) but no life from the engine. After many cranks later, finally it sputtered and coughed like a chitty chitty bang bang Model T on a bad hair day. Minor little backfires and a whole lotta shakin goin on back there for 10 seconds then it would die. (':pukeleft:') Sometimes it would stay alive as long as I kept the revs way up, higher than they should have been with a cold engine, but as soon as I would quit revving or even eased up, it would die again.
Over and over again we did this dance until finally I had to go home alone. (':pale:')
It was recently checked over and had a new fuel pump added by a reputable repair shop in Atascadaro or Paso Robles or there abouts. It may not have been driven much in recent months. Could that fact or the change in climate have some bearing on this problem?
Where should I start? It may be an obvious problem, but I'm a real novice at this.
Bob
Orng Bus Driver

81 VANAGON 'Ornj Bus' (air cooled)
86 HUNTER 25.5 'Watercolors' (air powered)

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:05 am

First off, welcome to the madness of air cooled VW ownership.

A good rule of thumb is always to start with the simple possibilities and then move on if that doesn't work. Being new to this, however, can make even the simplest problem seem daunting. That will improve with time as you gain experience and the heightened awareness that comes with it.

Look in the engine compartment and make sure all the vacuum hoses are all connected. It's very likely something might have shaken loose during the transport and the symptoms are exactly like you describe.

Here's the link to Richard Atwell's hose diagram page:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html
If you haven't yet, bookmark his site.

The hose marked "F" is a common one to slip off.

Water in the gas tank is another possibility and there's an additive called Heet that can take care of that.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

orng bus driver
I'm New!

81 vanagon engine sputters and coughs but wont start

Post by orng bus driver » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:09 pm

John, You were right on the money!!! Besides finding some poor squirrel's nut shells in the engine compartment, I found that the hoses that are connected with a Y tube connector were danglin in the breeze. The boot they came out of has a crack a quarter of the way around it which made it loose enough for the Y connector to come out. It runs again. (':compress:')
Thanks for your quick help. Bob
Bob
Orng Bus Driver

81 VANAGON 'Ornj Bus' (air cooled)
86 HUNTER 25.5 'Watercolors' (air powered)

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:06 pm

I love it when it's a simple fix!

-John
Keep it acoustic.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Gawd, I love this place! =D>
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:39 pm

Nice John!!! You nailed that one.

OBD, be sure to go through those vacuum hoses with a fine tooth comb, German Supply has a lot of the hoses, fittings and the like that you need to freshen up the vacuum system.

A vacuum leak is something that you want to completely rule out before you go onto anything else...like driving it for any length of time. Also be sure to make certain the hoses are connected to the proper places (the ratwell diagram).

There has been more then one time where even experienced folks hook those up a little wonky and then start chasing a 'problem'.

Good luck and congrats!!!! =D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"