EGR in a '79

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

EGR in a '79

Post by DjEep » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Franklin has a nice, new looking EGR pipe and throttle-controlled valve assembly. Problem is, he has no filter or anything south of that. The hole in the flange where the filter should be looks to be un-capped. I'd assume this would be leaning things out quite a bit. Whadda y'all suggest I do?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:50 am

At minimum, plug the pipe. Or, remove everything, block the hole at the air plenum, and sell the remaining parts for big bucks on e-Bay! :blackeye:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:34 am

Would unhooking the valve from the throttle seal it up temporarily?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:01 am

DjEep wrote:Would unhooking the valve from the throttle seal it up temporarily?
Would still run the chance of some air getting through. You just plug the end with some JB weld or rig up a gasket and a block off plate on the plenum.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:00 am

Yeah, I'm going the jb-route.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 am

DjEep wrote:Yeah, I'm going the jb-route.
Please do not. Just fashion a block off plate. They don't make those EGR valves anymore and if you destroy it, you've just made it that much more difficult for someone down the road if they need to comply with emissions. Ask me how I know.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:41 pm

I was gonna jb it where the filter is supposed to be, not at the valve. All usable parts should remain intact.