78 Westy filthy fuel injectors/problems from them

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

78 Westy filthy fuel injectors/problems from them

Post by Jr. Buser » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:26 am

Ok, I was replacing all the fuel lines and decided I should go ahead and send my injectors out for cleaning. Once I pulled the injectors, there was a significant amount of dirt/grime build-up on the number 2 and 4 cylinders. Please see pictures at growing site below.

There is a photo album menu at the bottom of the page.

http://cid-fb012bc3eaa12e65.spaces.live.com/

I will go ahead and pull the intake manifolds (tubes) and give them a good cleaning. With dirt this thick, should I be worried about the dirt having gotten to the internals of the engine? What should I do to ensure that there is no future damage done?

The history of this vehicle is unknown to me, but one thing appears clear. There was minimal maintenance done and there was a great deal of heat in the engine compartment to cause cracking like I have seen on all hoses. The points were fried and pitted horribly.

I'm sure that removing the intake will reveal some direction for me, but until I get that done any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brett
Searching for reason in an unreasonable location.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Those are probably salvageable IMO.

Send them off to www.cruzinperformance.com or to www.witchhunter.com and they can clean and calibrate them for around $100. They will come out like new.

Pull out your intake runners and soak them in your favorite degreaser (my choice would be "marine clean" from POR-15 and Gum Out spray) and clean them out really well with a steel bottle bush. New runner hoses of course.

It would be nice to find out what the compression or leakdown numbers are before you get too far into it.
79 VW Bus

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:Those are probably salvageable IMO.

Send them off to www.cruzinperformance.com or to www.witchhunter.com and they can clean and calibrate them for around $100. They will come out like new.

Pull out your intake runners and soak them in your favorite degreaser (my choice would be "marine clean" from POR-15 and Gum Out spray) and clean them out really well with a steel bottle bush. New runner hoses of course.

It would be nice to find out what the compression or leakdown numbers are before you get too far into it.
Got a response from cruzin yesterday and am going to send them off soon. Got the intake off last night and remakably only light rust. Media blasted it for a while with walnut shells so as not to damage it. I will repaint before installing.

I drug the bus from Oklahoma and have come to the conclusion that it spent many days sucking in dry red dirt. No engine seal, all hoses brittle and rotted. I'm putting together a bulk order from busboys and bus depot. Takes time to get all the numbers together.

I am also taking it upon myself to replace the distributor as well.

I dont' have a compression tester, but will get one. I too would like to know the numbers.

Thanks for the reply.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:32 pm

Cruizin' does a nice job. I had my injectors done there and was very pleased.

It sounds like your Bus is in good and loving hands now.

As far as your distributor goes, I would disassemble, clean, and inspect before deciding to replace it. They're pretty hardy units, and respond well to a thorough cleaning and lubrication, unless the shaft has too much slop in it.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:09 pm

Or if ya want to spring for a new dizzy you could go with the ACN SVDA but if you have the coin go and get the Mallory with optical pick-ups.

I am VERY happy with the ACN unit but I wish I would have sprung for the Mallory so I didn't have to futz with petronix/points.

I guess it would be a preference call though...
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:39 am

spiffy wrote:Or if ya want to spring for a new dizzy you could go with the ACN SVDA but if you have the coin go and get the Mallory with optical pick-ups.

I am VERY happy with the ACN unit but I wish I would have sprung for the Mallory so I didn't have to futz with petronix/points.

I guess it would be a preference call though...
I'm gonna take this to the electrical forum now because I have several questions about the dizzy.

Thanks for the mallory mention.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Jr. Buser wrote: I am also taking it upon myself to replace the distributor as well.
Why? Keep it simple. Clean, lubricate, adjust like a Black Forest elf who is into German Craftsmanship. You get sucked into the restless new new new! VW hobby marketing hype, and you could end up with a lot of shiny crap that doesn't do crap.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:53 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Why? Keep it simple. Clean, lubricate, adjust like a Black Forest elf who is into German Craftsmanship. You get sucked into the restless new new new! VW hobby marketing hype, and you could end up with a lot of shiny crap that doesn't do crap.
Colin
Because it's rusty inside, had lots of Oklahoma red clay and no felt for who knows how long. I'd rebuild it and clean it, but having never done that before, but seen pics, it seems a bit daunting. I don't know that I'm up for it, but fill me up with confidence and I'll try just about anything that won't injure or kill me! Or anybody else.

Actually, I want to buy a new one, but am perfectly willing to attempt to use this one first to get it going. I just hate to spend time replacing everything I can reasonably only to have this lingering doubt in the back of my mind. I seriously doubt that there was any lubrication used in it for years.

By the way, I love a good shiny paperweight! :pukeleft:

Brett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:14 pm

Jr. Buser wrote: Because it's rusty inside, had lots of Oklahoma red clay and no felt for who knows how long.
Mine still doesn't have the felt. It does have 549,000+ miles. A distributor has exactly two (*seven for a full fancy dual advance) moving parts, and I list them:

1) The Shaft
2) The Moveable Breaker Point
3) *The Upper Breaker Plate
4) *The Vacuum Advance Lever
5) *The 2 Centrifugal Weights
6) *The Upper Shaft

It takes you ten seconds to lubricate the necessary parts.
It takes you only 5 1/2 hours to gap the points the first time,
and about 30 seconds thereafter.
Take it apart like a kid on an exploration.
Have fun. It IS fun. Carb cleaner and a toothbrush can make that thing look good pretty quick.

That's it.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:29 pm

Hey, what the heck. I'm game. If I screw it up, I definitely have a reason to buy a new one. Notice that I did put rebuilding the old one on the poll. I like to leave my options open and no stone un-turned.