71 Dual Port Porous Manifold Boots?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

71 Dual Port Porous Manifold Boots?

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:37 pm

71 Beetle - 1600 dual-port with 34PICT3 Carb....

Both manifold boots are only a couple of years old and are the supposedly-good red ones.

Both of them are coated with a dark, tacky residue that smells like gasoline if wiped off. Neither of them appears to be cracked or brittle.

Does the fuel-air mixture "soak through" the material over time? Should I replace them immediately, or not worry about them (yet)?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:03 am

Clean them up nicely, secure clamps and monitor.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:34 pm

Done! A little carb cleaner instantly dissolved the gook. The clamps were a bit loose. I guess maybe the boots shrunk a bit from new? I will monitor the situation as you suggest.
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:58 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Done! A little carb cleaner instantly dissolved the gook. The clamps were a bit loose. I guess maybe the boots shrunk a bit from new? I will monitor the situation as you suggest.
Your monitor period has recently expired. Did the goop return?
Your Itinerant Technical Forum Editor
:flower:

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:22 am

I had one pair fail almost immediately. The shop installed a new set from a different vendor and have had no problems since then.

Well, no problems with that part anyway. I still have problems with gas, but Beano is helping.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
vwlover77 wrote:Done! A little carb cleaner instantly dissolved the gook. The clamps were a bit loose. I guess maybe the boots shrunk a bit from new? I will monitor the situation as you suggest.
Your monitor period has recently expired. Did the goop return?
Your Itinerant Technical Forum Editor
:flower:
Yes!
Don

78 Westy

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:15 pm

After finding a source for them I now use and prefer the original VW made BLACK intake boots. Seems there is now 3 or 4 different versions of what "used to be" the GOOD red "silicone" style boots that are clones or really are not worth a s**t in the material they are made of. ( read swelling, cracking, shrinking and leaking POS'S :blackeye: )

There are some cheap ass black boots as well. The good black boots come with the VW /Audi logo still stamped on them. At least the few dozen I have ordered as recently as a couple months ago.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:58 pm

keifernet wrote:After finding a source for them I now use and prefer the original VW made BLACK intake boots. Seems there is now 3 or 4 different versions of what "used to be" the GOOD red "silicone" style boots that are clones or really are not worth a s**t in the material they are made of. ( read swelling, cracking, shrinking and leaking POS'S :blackeye: )

There are some cheap ass black boots as well. The good black boots come with the VW /Audi logo still stamped on them. At least the few dozen I have ordered as recently as a couple months ago.
Please chase down your good source and put it in the Parts Known To Be Good sticky, capitalize the part
DUALPORT BOOTS
Vendor Here
Address Here
Phone Number Here
Website Here

And, please go to the Belatedly Discovered Junk sticky and do the same with your strike-out vendors.