76 Bus Fuel Injection Troubleshooting- It Runs 8/13/07

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

NWbuspilot
Getting Hooked!

Post by NWbuspilot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:53 pm

soulful66 wrote::cheers: =D> You did it! Wow an ecu defect. Great job!!!!!!!!!!

Now, do you understand that you were getting the pulse from the coil into the ecu, but the ecu was not "pulsing"' the injectors on (soild test light) and off (flickering test light).

So..do ya think that the flooding was because the injectors were grounded continulesy (soild test light) and just dumping fuel into the cylinders? Yeah!?

Twas a pleasure to pass on the learning I recieved from my own woes.

Best Regards,
John
Thanks again, hopefully I can help someone out with a similar problem in the future. (Not that I would wish that upon anyone!)

I took it for a shakedown run around the block after the lifters quieted down. It is in horrible, dire need of a tune. I statically timed it to get it to start, but I need a timing light so I can set the timing correctly. I plan on getting ahold of a timing light so I can set the timing so that I am using all of my advance correctly after getting the dwell locked in.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:32 pm

Timing has a huge effect on performance, especially it it's retarded. Retarded timing = no performance.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:07 pm

NWbuspilot wrote:
soulful66 wrote: Now, do you understand that you were getting the pulse from the coil into the ecu, but the ecu was not "pulsing"' the injectors on (solid test light) and off (flickering test light).
Best Regards,
John
It is in horrible, dire need of a tune. I statically timed it to get it to start, but I need a timing light so I can set the timing correctly. I plan on getting ahold of a timing light so I can set the timing so that I am using all of my advance correctly after getting the dwell locked in.
So our final pathology report is this:
Due to crap wires from a vendor who should know better, your ECU got electrocuted by coil secondary voltage leaking into the signal wire, devastating the ECU's ability to ground your injectors correctly.

I cannot tell you how many "adventures through pain" are caused by deficient crap foisted upon the unsuspecting consumers. I have also been electrocuted by those crap wires. Feedback to the vendors is YOUR MORAL RESPONSIBILITY to others in this hobby.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:12 pm

I can attest to the shit quality of B.D. OEM German plug wires. I bougth 3 set of these, and the two sets that are in our buses now are junk. I am keeping the third set to keep in my road spares kit. As soon I we can afford better sets. Colin and I both got the piss shocked out of us by those wires.

Maybe Colin will let us know where he found the very nice 7mm wires that he has on his bus. Ok...my parts bashing can go on all day, I will stop now.

Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

NWbuspilot
Getting Hooked!

Post by NWbuspilot » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:16 pm

I am getting ready to draft an email to bus depot. I was very disappointed with my overall experience on this last order. It took a total of 17 calendar days to get to me, and when I got the box it looked like it had been sprayed down with a garden hose and bounced like a basketball. This was my first order from them in a couple years, and it seems they have really gone downhill.

I think I will start taking my business back to Mid America Motor works. http://www.mamotorworks.com I haven't done business with them since they used to be Rocky Mountain Motor Works, but I always had good experiences with them.

As for new wires- these ones sure look nice:
http://www.alamomotorsports.com/Magneco ... wagen.html