Warped Aftermarket Filter

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk

Warped Aftermarket Filter

Post by turk » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:55 pm

One of my filters on the dual webers is a little warped and won't sit down tight on the grooves. I would like to drive approximately 300 miles RT over the holiday. It's just not flush and tight. I can shift it around just a little bit with my hand even when clamped in. Any quick and dirty remedies so it's okay for the trip? Silicone? Grease?

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:28 am

Take off the filters and clean em up first (soapy water or simple green). Then if you can get your hands on some K&N Filter spray protectant, get it and spray some on. Go back to the filter housing and make sure the groove is super clean. Take the air filter and place it on the bottom tray of the housing. With the palm of your hand hold it flush and put the upper tray onto it. I use nylock nuts to hold my top tray on the posts. Very slowly tightin down the nuts / butterfly nuts (which ever you use) alternating from one nut to the next. Do not tightin down one nut all the way -> this will cause it to slip and slide. You don't have to crank down the nuts to much to get them to keep the filter and trays in place. I've seen a few cases where they had the same problem as you and at the end of the day they overtightin one nut and not the other.

BUT -> if as you tightin the nuts the filter starts collapsing you'll probably need to pony up for new filters. If you do have to go down this road, don't piss your money down the hole -> get a set of K&N Air filters. They are the perfect match and last for a long time if you maintain correctly. Matter fact when you get back from the road save up some cash and get a set of the K&N's and a good set of Redline / weber (CB Performance) airfilter holder.

http://www.cbperformance.com/cataloglis ... arch=weber
ALL STUFF WEBER YOU MIGHT NEED

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=557
AIRCLEANER ASSEMBLY (WEBER AND DELLORTO)

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=548
AIRCLEANER TOP FOR WEBERS

turk

Post by turk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:14 pm

:cheers: Thanks Hippo. That worked. Actually, today with a little manipulating the clips (one of my clips is a piece of an old wire coathanger) and flexing the filter gently it fit in perfect and tight. Thankyou for the info on filters. I'm buying new ones when I get back.

turk

Post by turk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:04 pm

looks like this is my caburetor:
from the Weber website. So that's the 40 IDF. I went to LeMay Auto parts and they weren't too knowledgeable but the guy tried, and I ordered some filters and it came to 59 bucks just for the filters and a new clip. Now, I'm paranoid they aren't going to the right ones etc., so maybe I should go ahead and order some new aircleaners from CB Performance to cover my butt. They're cheaper with the trays and everything. Does 40 IDF sound right? Or should I take a pic of my carbs and post it just to be sure?
Thanks!

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:06 am

Do your carbs look similar to these?(my work won't let me view the picture you posted).Oval shaped filters with two wing nuts in the center.....If so, you have IDF webers. Or in my case, Dellorto DRLA's.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:43 pm

The 40 in the 40 idf refers to the barrel of the carb.

turk

Post by turk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:17 am

Thanks chitwnvw, the filters I got from LeMay are sweeeeet! Redlines. I got a new set of clips for the trays too. I'll be doing a little stuff to the bus before the next trip on the 22nd. I'm already excited. Then I'll meet you before that weekend so we can caravan out to Jo Davies County. I ordered some goodies to bring with -- such as a 5 gallon sunshower etc.
Thirstytank, I guess mine are Weber IDFs. My aircleaners are more rectangular but I guess the ovals fit too.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:31 am

Glad you finally replaced those, they were nasty. Remember how they were before we soaked em' in carb cleaner? That bus has come a LONG way from the days of resident slugs, moss and mold...
Enjoy yer trip!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

turk

Post by turk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:46 pm

hambone wrote:Glad you finally replaced those, they were nasty. Remember how they were before we soaked em' in carb cleaner? That bus has come a LONG way from the days of resident slugs, moss and mold...
Enjoy yer trip!
The new ones are supple and tight. It's a huge difference. They look bigger but they're the right size. That's how beat up the old ones are...