78 Westy Fuel Tank Removal, Engine IN

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

78 Westy Fuel Tank Removal, Engine IN

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:57 am

My plan, per Colin's suggestion, is to lower the engine to allow the fuel tank to be removed, without pulling the engine completely out (again).

Dumb question: Will the tank fit through the engine compartment opening?

Has anyone else done it this way, and if so, what words of wisdom can you provide?

Thanks!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 78 Westy Fuel Tank Removal, Engine IN

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:29 am

vwlover77 wrote:My plan, per Colin's suggestion, is to lower the engine to allow the fuel tank to be removed, without pulling the engine completely out (again).

Dumb question: Will the tank fit through the engine compartment opening?

Has anyone else done it this way, and if so, what words of wisdom can you provide?

Thanks!
Accessing the fuel tank to inspect/replace vent hoses can be done buy dropping an F.I. engine a few inches to help get the bulkhead out. Removing the tank itself, you are better off removing the engine, really not a big deal.
Colin
Colin

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:17 pm

There was a thread on this on the Samba a while back. My hunch would be that the tank comes out through the engine hatch once you clear the engine itself. Whether or not you would prefer to avoid dropping the engine altogether would depend on how good you are at the mating procedure.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 pm

I have always taken the engine and tranny out as a unit... well worth the few extra steps instead of the frustration of trying to mate them back up again.

But, I've had the engine and tranny out twice in the past year and just didn't want to do it all again!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:16 pm

vwlover77 wrote:I have always taken the engine and tranny out as a unit... well worth the few extra steps instead of the frustration of trying to mate them back up again.

But, I've had the engine and tranny out twice in the past year and just didn't want to do it all again!
I can do the combo with a bottle jack. Those little nose cone protrusions that go in-between the torsion tube and the big plate make it a snap to just sdhove forward and jack er up. Other than the tedium of removing heater cable clamps, alternator plug, heater ducts, fuel lines, clutch cable, starter and reverse connections, inner CVs, it is all right there.
Colin