"Flood Control" - 71 Super Beetle Convertible

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: "Flood Control" - 71 Super Beetle Convertible

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 am

I did what Busdaddy had success with my brass thermostat in my 71' engine. You basically lay the thermostat on something firm like the flat part of a vise. Get a punch that fits into the factory crimped areas already on the thermostat. I just added to the factory crimped area making the factory crimp area longer. I added like two punches to each crimped area. I'd then stop and check it. After a little while, I suddenly got no longer push the pin in and it fully extended by itself. I then screwed the thermostat back into the oil bath and checked the operation while also using a laser temp reader. It was opening/closing again at the correct temperature range.

Busdaddy gets two stars!
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:13 am

Mine is working just fine. LOTS of pressure holding the flap in position to block the preheat air.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for the tips guys! I will try this. I also use non-ethanol gas where availabil. Seems to help.

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 pm

running premium always helped me in summer and my heads were cooler too.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench