Mechanical EGR re-build

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

fetzic
I'm New!

Mechanical EGR re-build

Post by fetzic » Fri May 05, 2017 4:21 pm

79 Type#1 mechanical EGR rebuild. The two way valve re-seating seems to be easy enough to accomplish. The replacement or fabrication of a new shaft seal diaphragm has become an impossible task. Replacement parts are in nonexistence and assistance selecting a usable substitute for the diaphragm the same. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Mechanical EGR re-build

Post by satchmo » Sun May 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Are you sure you need/require the EGR? Like for a state emissions inspection? Or for a 100% original restoration?

If neither of the above, then you can just disconnect the EGR and plug the ports. That's what most folks do. Engine seems to run fine without the EGR.

If you live in a state with an emissions inspection (ie, California), you can leave the faulty EGR in place and tune the engine for lowest emissions, then remove it after passing smog testing. That's what I did.

Good luck, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 pm

There is a source of rebuilt EGR valves, if you can justify the expense: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1180729
Mine appears to be working otherwise I would invest if only for a cooler running engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Hi fetzic! Where are you located? Like satchmo said, if you don't have to pass a smog test, your car will run fine with the piping plugged off. KentPS just passed the California smog test with his pipes blocked off, since his muffler didn't have the port for it.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.