weak connection with temp sensor II ; lean or rich?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

weak connection with temp sensor II ; lean or rich?

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:00 pm

I had a temp sensor II that had worked it's way loose (threads are partially stripped). So late this summer, I reinstalled with just a dab of blue loctite (same as I did before). Me thinks I may not have had it all the way screwed in the last time I did this....seemed I was able to turn it in farther.

My question is, after I did this, it appears to be running leaner. I richened the static setting out two notches (which, interestingly, put it back to the original, presumably stock setting (I bought a rebuilt AFM about 8 years ago) and this seemed to help.

So my question is, if I didn't have a solid ground with the TS II would it make it think it was running rich, or lean?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: weak connection with temp sensor II ; lean or rich?

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:52 pm

not based on any known facts, but I thought id heard or read that it defaults fairly rich without a TSII signal.....
1979 California Transporter

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:07 am

Rich....as the engine warms up the ECU leans out the AFR. You need a richer mix when the engine is starting and cold to run.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:24 am

Yes to the above answers. Careful with the thread locker, if the application of it is comprehensive enough, the ground path for the sensor might be compromised, resulting in a rich condition. Testing it with an ohmmeter would give answers.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.