jet sizes Weber prog.

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

jet sizes Weber prog.

Post by dingo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:13 am

Anyone have tips on jet sizes for a center-mounted progressive carb on type 4 2L ?

pilot, mains, air....i would like to eliminate the stumble during progression
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: jet sizes Weber prog.

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:25 pm

dingo wrote:Anyone have tips on jet sizes for a center-mounted progressive carb on type 4 2L ?

pilot, mains, air....i would like to eliminate the stumble during progression
Ewwwww. We don't EVEN know the BRAND of this exercise in "progressive" (it's not, it is reactionary) futility.
You can't know what jet sizes would cure an ailment intrinsic to the compromised engineering unless you have fully fully fully warmed every inch of that chromed monstrosity on a day well above the dewpoint of evaporating fuel.

Once this this this contraption is fully warm, you will know if the jet sizes are acceptable if the mixture is responsive to the mixture screw somewhere between 1/2 and 3 turns.

You also have to know (and by telling us, we'll know that you know) the timing map from idle to 3,500 rpm.
We need idle timing 1,200 rpm, 1,700 rpm, 2,400 rpm and 3,500 rpm. Don't forget to share little gems like:
type of distributor
vacuum advance can
is this a stock configuration engine with stock cam and valves?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:29 pm

man I just stick my toe in the water and the great white comes around smelling blood !! yes yes the data will be forthcoming...just thought id see if anyone was quietly running of these much maligned carbs...i.e. looking for ballpark sizes to start from...1600 or 2L or both .
The arguments pro and con are well trodden.....but my experience in the past has been pleasant ....im up for the challenge to dial one of them in for the road
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:42 pm

dingo wrote:man I just stick my toe in the water and the great white comes around smelling blood !! yes yes the data will be forthcoming...just thought id see if anyone was quietly running of these much maligned carbs...i.e. looking for ballpark sizes to start from...1600 or 2L or both .
The arguments pro and con are well trodden.....but my experience in the past has been pleasant ....im up for the challenge to dial one of them in for the road
Go fer it. I have driven some nice progressive carburetor equipped engines after the first ten minutes of whinebaby complaining.

Why would you settle for that horrid accelerator pedal progession on those over-strained under leveraged throttle levers? Anyways . . .
SharkyInMaconGA
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles