D-Jet/L-Jet Retrofit ECU

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

KitCarlson
I'm New!

Re: D-Jet/L-Jet Retrofit ECU

Post by KitCarlson » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Screenshot_2013-08-04-10-45-48.png
Here is an Ignition only working Android BT app.
If I only have more free time, I can make the changes to add all the 3D controls for the EMS2 with FI.
I am a foul weather programmer, I program when it is difficult to be outside.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:05 am

KitCarlson wrote:
Screenshot_2013-08-04-10-45-48.png
If I only have more free time, I can make the changes to add all the 3D controls for the EMS2 with FI.
I am a foul weather programmer, I program when it is difficult to be outside.
Looks good.

I may need a D-Jet replacement at some point.

Do you have pseudo-analog needle gauge displays available for laptop reading under way?

The timing map shows a dramatic drop-off in the upper 4,000's, why is that?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

KitCarlson
I'm New!

Post by KitCarlson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:31 am

The timing map for the ignition system drops off as a rev limit. It is a V8 system for a classic car with carb. Retarding the timing limits RPM, yet burns the fuel, avoiding possible exhaust backfire. With EFI the fuel is cut, but ignition stays on. The 4,000 is a but low, but was used for testing.

I have experimented with analog needle displays, but they take much screen display area. Adding AFR and other information packs the screen. I find the bars much easier to read, I also have them programmed to change color from green to red when above desired value. There is much to watch in the tuning process, less is more. At my age it is easy to get sensory overload. The unit has a tach output to drive a VDO tach ,used in Porsche 914 and other cars. A dash mount mechanical vacuum/boost, and WB/O2 are handy too.
I am in the process of changing PC code tools to B4J from VB6. I might find ways to improve screen presentations. The code I develop will also work readily in all application platforms.

I do not believe the driver should ever tune on the road. The distractions are too great, for safe driving. Notebooks are hard to see, and handle in a car. To tune there is a driver, and a tuner. I tune, my wife drives. The notebook is on a lap desk, screen intensity turned up. It takes two hands, one to hold notebook and screen the other to press cursor keys and +, -. While the GIU can be mouse driven too, it is impractical, in a driving car. We choose quite times on back roads, then we try to hit various RPM/MAP values long enough to make changes. Logging is a good way to gain information for a better tune.

I have D-Jet sized boxes and P914 wiring harnesses, but not certain I wish to sell units. It may be different if you were close so I could help with install and tuning. It is not hard, but my experience with others, spoiled what could have been positive experiences. It is hard to imagine the difficulties, or explain in this forum.

KitCarlson
I'm New!

Post by KitCarlson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Screenshot_2013-03-31-20-14-44.png
Android GUI showing Chart Recorder
This is for V8 ignition system. Plans are to extend to EMS2 with EFI as time permits.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:20 am

KitCarlson wrote:The timing map for the ignition system drops off as a rev limit. It is a V8 system for a classic car with carb. Retarding the timing limits RPM, yet burns the fuel, avoiding possible exhaust backfire.
Let's find a different method of rev-limiting for air-cooled engines. Their exhaust valves are already so close to the edge that retarding the timing at high rpm is going to kill those puppies with ColumbiaSpaceShuttleEatingSuperhotGasTorching.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

KitCarlson
I'm New!

Post by KitCarlson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:13 am

It is up to the user how the timing is handled. I did not suggest for an AC engine. In the next sentence
With EFI the fuel is cut, but ignition stays on.
That is the best way to rev limit. The system operates at high speed, handling each combustion event with RPM measurement. The result is a flutter in the engine sound, and RPM indicator turns red.

It is easy to cut the ignition like many rev limits, but with a carb that flushes the cylinders with a gas air mixture that will go to the muffler. Rev limit should be very temporary, once noticed, most have the tendency shift and or let off the throttle.

KitCarlson
I'm New!

Post by KitCarlson » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:00 am

20140908_100911.jpg
Here is a picture of my car and a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poCH-tsciiY