Fuel Tank Rust

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Fuel Tank Rust

Post by Psucamper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:01 pm

I am prepping a fuel tank for a 2 L FI T4 engine. This tank has been sitting dry for many years. Upon inspection through the tank sensor hole, the inside has only a patina of surface rust which blew out to leave an acceptable surface. But. there are two small rust spots almost directly below the filler neck. Not close to being thru holes but don't like it. I do not have the time to do a POR 15 resto. These spots are easy to get to for some kind of chemical/preservative fix. I can apply an epoxy but have no idea of gas and epoxy compatibility. What is POR15 anyway? Any thoughts? Bob L.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Fuel Tank Rust

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Psucamper wrote:I am prepping a fuel tank for a 2 L FI T4 engine. This tank has been sitting dry for many years. Upon inspection through the tank sensor hole, the inside has only a patina of surface rust which blew out to leave an acceptable surface. But. there are two small rust spots almost directly below the filler neck. Not close to being thru holes but don't like it. I do not have the time to do a POR 15 resto. These spots are easy to get to for some kind of chemical/preservative fix. I can apply an epoxy but have no idea of gas and epoxy compatibility. What is POR15 anyway? Any thoughts? Bob L.
Online search. I have seen coating treatments shed into large sheets of outlet-blocking horror.
I have seen some epoxies that look like no gasoline could ever affect them.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Re: Fuel Tank Rust

Post by Psucamper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:48 am

Colin..Thanks for the reply. I did a search and, as usual, each vendor claims his product is superior to the other guys. They will protect and last forever. Real world experiences do not support these claims. My current problem tank is bad enough without facing the possibility of adding another layer of stuff that may shed. I'll just let it alone. We'll put in the new (?) tank when you arrive here on Sat./12. Bob L.