34 PICT 3 leak

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

34 PICT 3 leak

Post by Sylvester » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi there, long time no hear from me, ah well on my recent replaced carburetor, well last year before I went to Afghanistan. I rebuilt it myself, and while overseas my friend that was starting the Bus once a month told me via email that it appeared the carb was leaking. I drove it home and put it in the garage, sorry Colin life took over. Now when I was trying to get it on the road, I see indeed the carb is leaking, at the linkage where the throttle comes into the carb, both sides. Definitely wet, and both sides. Now I don't remember rebuilding that part of the carb, is this part even fixable?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: 34 PICT 3 leak

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:40 pm

New bushings, but the few places I've found are mighty proud of their work. But on a one year old essentially new carb? That doesn't sound right. And usually with sloppy bushings, the concern is extra air and running lean. Choke issue?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:41 am

I rebuilt it, but not this part of it. So those come in a kit? Don't think it did mine.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:11 am

I did notice it was dripping just a little when I was moving the throttle, and wondered how I drove this home 30 miles without a fire?

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:10 pm

I have never done a re-bushing. Not even sure where to go to get replacements or what the measurements are. You should be able to feel slop. Hambone has a link to an outfit that can do it. Otherwise Keifer on the Samba does them, also. Sorry I'm not much help.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Yep I just posted about that very thing. You need a new carb, but the following link will also tell you where to get a QUALITY rebuilt German carb, or have yours rebushed.
PS Welcome back (I was gonna call you "bee-atch" but didn't want to offend)

The link:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11679
ironically the thread just below yours
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Sylvester wrote:I did notice it was dripping just a little when I was moving the throttle, and wondered how I drove this home 30 miles without a fire?
Gas dripping from the bushings is merely a symptom. It is not the fault of the bushings. A high float level is a likely cause. Also check the accelerator pump diaphragm for leaks. They can dribble around the corner and drip at the bushings. In that case a replacement accelerator pump diaphragm will cure it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:46 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sylvester wrote:
Gas dripping from the bushings is merely a symptom. It is not the fault of the bushings. A high float level is a likely cause.
Colin
I have never understood this part. A float is a float. There is nothing to control how hight it floats other than the gas in the bowl, and the float valve it presses against.

If it is high, it presses against the float valve, shutting off the gas flow to the bowl.

The only other variable I see, other than the amount of gas in the bowl, is the float valve gasket. The 34 PICT/3 carburetor uses the 0.5 mm (.020") gasket.

What am I missing then?

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Just like the float in your toilet tank, bending the arm that holds the black bulby-thing will vary the water level in the tank. If your arm isn't "bent" correctly the water (fuel) level will be too high or too low. It matters.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 pm

The float mechanism gets shimmed at the carb to set the bowl level. There's a procedure out there, some where....I've never done it.
How old is this carb? Is there wiggle at the throttle shaft? If "yes" then that's where your gas is coming from. If "no" then something else is wrong.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:28 pm

hambone wrote:The float mechanism gets shimmed at the carb to set the bowl level. There's a procedure out there, some where....I've never done it.
How old is this carb? Is there wiggle at the throttle shaft? If "yes" then that's where your gas is coming from. If "no" then something else is wrong.
No idea of the age, I rebuilt it with a standard kit early last year and put it on just last fall before I went to Afghanistan. While there my friend watching over Sam told me he saw gas leaking from the carb. When I got home I drove Sam from the base to home ok, but noticed a gas smell from the engine compartment. Have had zero time to work on Sam until this week, looking at the throttle shaft there is gas very slowly, like a drip every now and then, coming from the throttle shaft on the drivers side.

I just don't see how a full bowl could cause gas to come from the throttle shaft, and it can't be full I have not started Sam in a month.

I called a carburetor guy down the street, he said buy a new carb.

I am going to rebuild it again and see if there is something obvious. Then off the engine I can fill the bowl and see if it still leaks.

No camping this weekend, I have a spare carb but it is the one that came with Sam, and boy it is wore out.

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:23 pm

The other thing to check is fuel pressure, should be around 3.5 psi.
$20 shipped from sears, not bad to have in the tool box:
http://www.sears.com/kd-tools-fuel-pump ... ockType=G3

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 pm

My '71 Beetle had a loose throttle shaft that would drip gas on both sides of the carb. I sent the carb body off to this guy and he installed new bushings. $60 and no more leaking! He's in Georgia, which might be convenient for you!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1362329
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:52 am

vwlover77 wrote:My '71 Beetle had a loose throttle shaft that would drip gas on both sides of the carb. I sent the carb body off to this guy and he installed new bushings. $60 and no more leaking! He's in Georgia, which might be convenient for you!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1362329
Ok, I emailed Keith to see if he can do the bushings. I am pretty certain that is what the issue is, but I will take it off and test it a bit for the obvious.

He is an hour and a half away from me, and in pretty country so a ride may be needed.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:50 am

vwlover77 wrote:My '71 Beetle had a loose throttle shaft that would drip gas on both sides of the carb. I sent the carb body off to this guy and he installed new bushings. $60 and no more leaking! He's in Georgia, which might be convenient for you!
ONCE AGAIN, leaking at the bushings is just a SYMPTOM!
Sure, the gas now leaks solely into the intake manifold where it can now strip the oil film off the cylinder walls at start. Hey but we can't see it, must be fixed.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles