67 Bus with 73 Dual Port Dual Webers Massive gas leaks

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Danny79
I'm New!

67 Bus with 73 Dual Port Dual Webers Massive gas leaks

Post by Danny79 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 am

67 bus running a 73 dual port beetle motor - stock 1600, stock reduction gear boxes and stock height
Gas tank full of rust put high water mark of rust inside brand new carb.
Pulled tank, cleaned tank.

Bought used Webers that PO said were good (ran good on the car) - stock 1600 beetle) , and a friend I know saw them run on the car, he said they are almost new, buy them.

Dual carbs look awesome, (not sure about gaskets - did the work last Nov.) took it to my mechanic, he got the bus running, ordered the block off plates, he puts them one. I call, he tells me the carbs "are puking" gas. So bad that he said there was a risk of fire, it was just pouring out on the one side of the engine. I think he is done working on it - been sitting 6+ weeks at his shop...

Now, from what I have read, the gaskets impact the shutfoff for the floats or there might be crude in carb.

What should I do for a reliable running bus ?

Do I give up on dual carbs and:
1) go back to a Keifernet rebuilt German carb ?
2) get a Pict 30 with adapter plate which my mechanic wants to do
3) try to clean the rust out of the new carb and use that ?
4) get new gaskets for the webers, try to set the float valves, look for crud, and try again ?
Help, I drove this over a year ago in my neighbor hood, I want to drive it again....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 67 Bus with 73 Dual Port Dual Webers Massive gas leaks

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:09 am

Danny79 wrote:67 bus running a 73 dual port beetle motor - stock 1600, stock reduction gear boxes and stock height
Gas tank full of rust put high water mark of rust inside brand new carb.
Pulled tank, cleaned tank.

Bought used Webers that PO said were good (ran good on the car) - stock 1600 beetle) , and a friend I know saw them run on the car, he said they are almost new, buy them.

Dual carbs look awesome, (not sure about gaskets - did the work last Nov.) took it to my mechanic, he got the bus running, ordered the block off plates, he puts them one. I call, he tells me the carbs "are puking" gas. So bad that he said there was a risk of fire, it was just pouring out on the one side of the engine. I think he is done working on it - been sitting 6+ weeks at his shop...

Now, from what I have read, the gaskets impact the shutfoff for the floats or there might be crude in carb.

What should I do for a reliable running bus ?

Do I give up on dual carbs and:
1) go back to a Keifernet rebuilt German carb ?
2) get a Pict 30 with adapter plate which my mechanic wants to do
3) try to clean the rust out of the new carb and use that ?
4) get new gaskets for the webers, try to set the float valves, look for crud, and try again ?
Help, I drove this over a year ago in my neighbor hood, I want to drive it again....
You have a bit of a mess here . . . a Frankensteined bus that may need some re-engineering.

Ask yourself first what you want:
a) do I want the power that the Frankenstein carburetion set-up offers?
b) do I want the legendary reliability, economy, and driveability of the original factory engineering?

if a) rebuild the dual Webers after the fuel system is certifiably hygienic

if b) get the correct dualport 1600 34 Pict3 carburetor with a correct distributor.

Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Danny79
I'm New!

Re: 67 Bus with 73 Dual Port Dual Webers Massive gas leaks

Post by Danny79 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:47 am

Thank you Colin. b.