Stripped Hole for Screw Holding Carb Top

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Stripped Hole for Screw Holding Carb Top

Post by whc03grady » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Just call me Job.

Since my right carb's fuel inlet nipple had pulled out of the carb, I knurled it, superglued it, and reinstalled it, and safety wired the lightly clamped clamp to one of the carb-top screws. It seemed to go fine, except that I didn't get the tube as far in as it was before; the tube sticks 29/32" out of the carb while the one on a spare carb I have sticks out 24/32" but how much can this possibly matter? (Right, probably a lot. Everything matters.)

Thinking it'd be inconsistent to clamp/safety wire one side and not the other, I went to work on the left carb. And FML if the carb screw I was using for the safety wire--the inboard, furthest forward one--didn't strip out its hole as I was quite politely tightening it. So now that screw just sits in its spot, holding nothing together. (I safety wired the clamp to a different screw.)

I knew I should've left well enough alone.

Advice please.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

zabo
Old School!

Re: Stripped Hole for Screw Holding Carb Top

Post by zabo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:46 pm

tap it for larger size? I just had to do this on my ol 28pict
60 beetle
78 bus

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:16 pm

zabo wrote:tap it for larger size? I just had to do this on my ol 28pict
Going to a larger size was my first thought too. Since carbs are made out of such crap metal, can tapping simply consist in driving in a slightly bigger screw?
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:56 am

Possibly. I would just be concerned about the depth and uniformity of the threads.

I didnt drill just ran a 6mm tap through.
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 pm

whc03grady wrote:
zabo wrote:tap it for larger size? I just had to do this on my ol 28pict
Going to a larger size was my first thought too. Since carbs are made out of such crap metal, can tapping simply consist in driving in a slightly bigger screw?
Out in the sticks where the Road Warrior often found itself, I had to use a single wrap of aluminum tape carefully! fingernailed into the thread valleys of the screw. I wrapped the tape counter-clockwise so it would sort of self-tighten as I drove the screw into the (I was fixing a choke screw hole) potmetal. Worked perfectly.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:...aluminum tape carefully! fingernailed into the thread valleys of the screw.
Not that I plan to be a gorilla about it, but what's with the "carefully"? What specific disaster will I be trying to avoid?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:...aluminum tape carefully! fingernailed into the thread valleys of the screw.
Not that I plan to be a gorilla about it, but what's with the "carefully"? What specific disaster will I be trying to avoid?
Ripping the tape as you get it to enter each thread valley!

Did you know that there are different length screws and if you put a short in a long screw's hole you striop it even when being polite?

It's about Observant . . . . note that the tops of the carburetors have shallow holes but for one corner. That is where the long screw goes. Why they designed it this way, I do not know.

You *might* find that the installation of a long screw in the hole-in-question fixes it if it happens to be the hole that needs the long screw.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles