New mechanical fuel pumps for type 2

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: New mechanical fuel pumps for type 2

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:28 am

Hippie wrote:In John Muir's day, it was the automatic choke conspiracy that was going to kill your mill, now it's the incomplete fuel pumps.
Crap...the things they do to save a buck.
I wonder if an expansion chamber in the line would do the same good as a cutoff?
I am installing a fuel filter in the hose between the pump and the carburetor at the next heat wave (it is 60* here near the stupid Pacific Ocean). That is an expansion chamber. I'll let you know if it helps.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Re: New mechanical fuel pumps for type 2

Post by grandfatherjim » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:44 am

Amskeptic wrote:
grandfatherjim wrote:I also ordered a couple of barbed fittings,as the valve has female 1/8" NPT in and out, and a 1 1/2" insulated clamp for mounting the valve - including shipping, all that was $40.
What a great stocking stuffer . . . . :alien:

I need one, this engine is going to get damaged with these flooding hot starts.
Just a reminder, the original factory engineering was answering a number of driveability issues, when you have the chance to retain the original factory engineering, do so. Now that we have these aftermarket vendors who do not answer to such things, we need to come up with retrofits, like these fuel cut-offs (even though I would hate to junk up the engine with one - I'd love to score an original VW pump with internal cutoff)
ColinInNevada
OK I installed it and have driven about 1000 miles. All is good. The sequence is fuel tank, filter, cutoff valve, pump, carbs.
The company sent me one incorrect barbed fitting and the incorrect clamp (for around the gas line, rather than around the pump). The right ones were easily sourced and away I went.
Any problems I'll post.
Jim