1975 1.8L F.I. type ED: doens't keep running idle

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

oldtimercamper
I'm New!

1975 1.8L F.I. type ED: doens't keep running idle

Post by oldtimercamper » Thu May 31, 2012 12:23 pm

I've got a 1975 VW T2B imported from the USA. It has a 1.8L engine with fuel injection, type ED.

Recently the engine has completely been rebuild. The problem is the engine doesn't keep running idle. You have to keep your foot on the throttle to keep the engine running.
My question for you all: do you have some schematics or diagrams about the fuel injection wiring? Especially the vacuum hoses.

We have tried some throubleshooting procedures and suspect the vacuum hoses. We'd like to exclude the possibillity that we've connected the wires wrongly.
Any other information is welcome too.

Regards,
Ewout

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: 1975 1.8L F.I. type ED: doens't keep running idle

Post by Gypsie » Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 pm

Ewout,

Welcome. Hopefully we will be helpful. Bear with us as we determine where you are at.

Do you have a Bentley? Are you just getting into engine work? What do you know about the "foundation" -valve adj., timing, points, etc.

"Engine was rebuilt"- You rebuilt it and after installation you had this issue, or a shop rebuilt it and you did some work and may have rerouted vac lines?

New engine may require some adjusting to other variables, like mix, but we won't go there yet.

Someone here may have a vac diagram, but off the top of my head, I would suggest looking at your vac line from the throttle body, I believe that one goes to the vac advance on the distributor and the one from the fuel pressure regulator goes to the intake plenum port. (there is a decel valve connection as well if you have a manual tranny but I can't remember which one that goes to).

Have you hunted for any other vac leaks. Aux Air regulator is known for having failures in the elbow.

Snap a pic and post it we may be able to see something.

2cents. don't go getting all crazy with your new found wealth.... :flower:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu May 31, 2012 2:42 pm

oldtimercamper wrote:I've got a 1975 VW T2B imported from the USA. It has a 1.8L engine with fuel injection, type ED.

Recently the engine has completely been rebuild. The problem is the engine doesn't keep running idle. You have to keep your foot on the throttle to keep the engine running.
My question for you all: do you have some schematics or diagrams about the fuel injection wiring? Especially the vacuum hoses.

We have tried some throubleshooting procedures and suspect the vacuum hoses. We'd like to exclude the possibillity that we've connected the wires wrongly.
Any other information is welcome too.

Regards,
Ewout
Have you checked here (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513607)?

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

oldtimercamper
I'm New!

Post by oldtimercamper » Thu May 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies so far.

I'm restoring a 1975 VW Westfalia T2 with it's original 1.8L engine. The engine was rebuild by a specialized shop and put back in the engine-bay by my garage-owner.
I'm from Holland and finding somebody with (working) knowledge about these fuel injection systems is difficult. There is also no running car with a 1.8L F.I. available as an example.
We have a 2.0L engine with F.I. but some of the wiring and hoses are different.

I don't have a recent photo off the engine bay.

We'll check your tips and use the schematics from the Samba link to make sure everything is connected OK. Hopefully something we just overlooked.

Regards,
Ewout

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:25 am

oldtimercamper wrote:Hi all,
Hopefully something we just overlooked.
Regards,
Ewout
A brand new rebuild has a lot of internal friction that must be overcome. Have you raised the idle speed by turning the big brass screw counter-clockwise near the throttle lever? As the engine breaks in, you can successively turn the screw in for an idle of 950-1,000 rpm.
Can you richen the mixture by turning the screw on the air flow meter clockwise? Just try it. If it improves the idle, good. If it doesn't, bring the screw back.
Is the timing correct? If you have TWO hoses to the can on the distributor, you might have incorrect timing if the retard side is not functional. You can test by pulling the hose that is near the hold-down clip off. Idle speed should jump up. If you can't get the stupid thing to idle in the first place, just pull it off anyway and see if it now can almost idle better. Adjust timing to 28* BTDC at 3,200 rpm with hoses pulled off the advance unit on the distributor. Then reattach.
If you do NOT have the dual advance distributor with the retard hose, disregard all mention of the retard.
:silent:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles