79 Bus Cold Idle Issue

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: 79 Bus Cold Idle Issue

Post by SlowLane » Sat May 05, 2012 4:59 pm

mross wrote:Also, this engine has hydraulic lifters, and the valves are non - adjustable.
Ah, not quite correct. The adjustment procedure is different for hydraulic lifters than for solid lifters, but they are adjustable. And although hydraulic lifters don't require adjustment as frequently as do solid lifters, it is still a good practice to regularly check their adjustment to gauge the health of your valves and valve seats. There have been many discussion threads here and on The Samba on the topic.

Additionally, Richard Atwell (ratwell) has an excellent write-up on hydraulic lifters in the type 4 engine here: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html

General opinion is that Bentley's recommendation to adjust the valves two turns past zero lash is excessive. One-and-a-half turns is more commonly accepted.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

mross
I'm New!

Post by mross » Tue May 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread in forever, but work was crazy and I didn't have time to work on my bus. Anyway, I took it to a local air - cooled only shop here in town after trying a few more tests. They had a look over it and adjusted the timing, dwell, and fuel mixture (AFM). The adjustments cured it, and it now idles and runs like it is supposed to. I also had a look at the valvetrain adjustment procedure; and will give it a shot when I have a little more time on my hands.

Anyway, thank you all for the help! This is a great site!

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed May 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks for posting an update, Mike. Was kinda wondering what happened to ya. One minute you're all gung-ho, and then ... nothin'.

But yeah, life can get in the way of air-cooled ambitions. Glad you found a shop that was able to sort your issue out. Mechanics who know anything about aircooled beasties are getting rarer.

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 am

SlowLane wrote:Thanks for posting an update, Mike.Mechanics who know anything about aircooled beasties are getting rarer.

And us travelling ones who come to your house to teach you to do it yourself, MIKE, are rarer yet and getting older by the day . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu May 24, 2012 8:24 am

And us travelling ones who come to your house to teach you to do it yourself, MIKE, are rarer yet and getting older by the day
Forgive me Colin, but you aren't rare. You're unique. :king:

And as a comic whose name I promptly forgot once pointed out, getting older beats the heck out of the alternative.

- Terry Pratchett