Double Relay...

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Double Relay...

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 pm

So I have no power going to my fuel pump when I have the key in the on position and move the wiper in the AFM...and so I am trying to understand what is going on in that black Bosch box...

So, to the best of my understanding...and this is an open discussion, feel free to chime in and correct my ignorance...

In the Bosch world numbers that start with:

85 - are grounds
86 - is a positive or a possible positive
88 - is a 12 v output, although the Bosch literature and Ratwell apes this, call this 87.
30 is full power from the battery

When needed an 86 combines with an 85 to invoke power from 30 and outputs it on an 88. So 86 energizes and grounds to 85, which closes the relay and allows power from 30 which flows out the 88 to do whatever it needs to do, ie power the fuel pump. Does this sound correct?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Double Relay...

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 am

chitwnvw wrote:So I have no power going to my fuel pump when I have the key in the on position and move the wiper in the AFM...and so I am trying to understand what is going on in that black Bosch box...

So, to the best of my understanding...and this is an open discussion, feel free to chime in and correct my ignorance...

In the Bosch world numbers that start with:

85 - are grounds
86 - is a positive or a possible positive
88 - is a 12 v output, although the Bosch literature and Ratwell apes this, call this 87.
30 is full power from the battery

When needed an 86 combines with an 85 to invoke power from 30 and outputs it on an 88. So 86 energizes and grounds to 85, which closes the relay and allows power from 30 which flows out the 88 to do whatever it needs to do, ie power the fuel pump. Does this sound correct?
Ya know? Try "Fuel Delivery" Forum.
Read up ... :cyclopsani:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5459

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Re: Double Relay...

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Ha ha, I actually read that a few years back, funny how it means so much more to you under the gun.

So now I have a working fuel pump with the key in the on position, fuel pressure, she cranks, but still no firing. One problem down, one closer to getting the Troutmobile running again.