Contemplating FI

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Contemplating FI

Post by SlowLane » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:36 am

luftvagon wrote:The FI is spot on.. This thing started within 1 revolution and was purring like a kitten.. :(
Nice. =D>
luftvagon wrote:The sad thing is problem gradually became worst. I guess as the engine heats up, and rubber softens up, this thing falls even deeper and obstructs the air.
Be forewarned: unless you got a genuine VW elbow, odds are the new one will fail much sooner than you might expect. The aftermarket ones might as well be made of licorice. I have the collection to prove it.
Also, that obstruction you mention is only going to be an issue during warm-up. The AAR is supposed to be completely closed under normal operating conditions, so the obstruction would only be mimicking the normal operation of the AAR. I suggest you check the operation of your AAR using the excellent guide in the AAR sticky.
luftvagon wrote: I will be soldering a copper 90 joint so that there one less thing to worry about.
My ultimate solution was this: http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=377. The 0.500 ID part works perfectly with a bit of trimming. The elbow has 10" legs, so there's enough left over from the off-cuts to use in a couple of other locations.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Are there any negatives with removing deaccel valve?
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:53 pm

luftvagon wrote:Are there any negatives with removing deaccel valve?
I disconnected it on my Vanagon and the issues I was having with steady idle went away.

There is probably a test you can do to check it's functionality, and if it turns out to be bad - just plug the lines that it connects to usually and see what changes that creates in your setup.
1979 California Transporter

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:28 pm

If the valve just keeps the throttle from closing quickly, this is strickly an emissions reducing device and serves no other purpose.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:23 pm

No "emissions" in Arkansas, she is going into the parts bin.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

mross
I'm New!

Post by mross » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Has anyone bought these injectors (http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=380114) from Bus Depot?
I bought one a while back and installed it when I installed my rebuilt engine (1 of the 4 factory injectors could not be rebuilt). It looks a little different from stock, but it flows the same and has the same spray pattern (checked it while figuring out a fuel injection issue). It came in a box labelled "fuel injection corporation". So far (800 miles), I would call it a success.
Has anyone adopted an o2 sensor to L-Jet?
I'm not sure that you can install an o2 sensor without using a later California spec computer and AFM (79 Bus, 80 - 82.5 Vanagon); as there is no circuitry in the non - o2 sensor equipped ECU to modify the fuel mixture based on the reading. You may also have to use the electronic pickup type distributor for the Cali-spec ECU, I'm not sure. Otherwise, you could weld in an o2 bung and use a wideband o2 sensor and display (like the LM-1) to check the mixture, and then modify it yourself by changing the position of the wiper inside the AFM (disclaimer: I've never tried it, also the LM-1 kit is $$$$).
No "emissions" in Arkansas, she is going into the parts bin
I'd be careful with that. The diagrams on this page: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html suggest that the decel valve modifies the fuel mixture by altering the fuel pressure. Also, if I recall the service manual correctly the decel valve richens the mixture when the throttle is closed to prevent backfiring.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 am

mross wrote:
Has anyone bought these injectors
I bought one a while back It came in a box labelled "fuel injection corporation".
Fuel Injection Corp. is a class act. They do a thorough job of rebuilding stuff. No shortcuts.

Has anyone adopted an o2 sensor to L-Jet?
I'm not sure that you can install an o2 sensor without using a later California spec computer and AFM (79 Bus, 80 - 82.5 Vanagon); as there is no circuitry in the non - o2 sensor equipped ECU to modify the fuel mixture based on the reading. You may also have to use the electronic pickup type distributor for the Cali-spec ECU, I'm not sure.
Bang on, Mike. To convert to a CA-spec FI system, you need the ECU, AFM, wiring harness, ignition system (distributor, ignition module, idle stabilizer) and throttle body if yours doesn't have the second vacuum port.
Otherwise, you could weld in an o2 bung and use a wideband o2 sensor and display (like the LM-1) to check the mixture, and then modify it yourself by changing the position of the wiper inside the AFM (disclaimer: I've never tried it, also the LM-1 kit is $$$$).
This is pretty much what I have done, although I used an LC-1 and outboard gauge instead of the LM-1.
No "emissions" in Arkansas, she is going into the parts bin
I'd be careful with that. The diagrams on this page: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html suggest that the decel valve modifies the fuel mixture by altering the fuel pressure. Also, if I recall the service manual correctly the decel valve richens the mixture when the throttle is closed to prevent backfiring.
The decel valve simply opens up an air channel bypassing the throttle plate when manifold vacuum exceeds a certain amount (about 22" Hg for the Federal-spec Vanagon). This basically limits the maximum manifold vacuum to that amount. Any changes to fuel presssure and fuel mixture are simply secondary effects of the system responding to that action.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett