Baywindow Windshield R & R

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jalabert
I'm New!

Re: Baywindow Windshield R & R

Post by jalabert » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:00 pm

I've (reasonably) recently replaced my original, scratched to hell windscreen with a new one, which of course is thinner and generally not as good but which I can at least see out of. (Typically, the week after binning it I found a place that would have buffed it, but there we go. Lesson learned - get a bigger shed.) Since then the seal's leaked slightly - right onto the fusebox. I'm now getting fed up of emptying my indicator relay and drying it out.... The seal's only 3 or 4 years old, Wolfsburg west one, and in good nick. I'm not 100% sure I understand the gluing wire thing here - so glue a bead of wire all the way round either the inside or outer edge of the screen to fatten out the seal? Is there a ninja secret to doing this without covering the entire screen in goop? I can't imagine what type of glue would make this easy...any mileage in perhaps just laying a thickish seam of epoxy instead / or as well as, for the wire to sit in? Or maybe replace the OG spec seal with the slightly fatter JustKampers one?

Cheers

Simon

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:32 pm

jalabert wrote:I've (reasonably) recently replaced my original, scratched to hell windscreen with a new one, which of course is thinner and generally not as good but which I can at least see out of. (Typically, the week after binning it I found a place that would have buffed it, but there we go. Lesson learned - get a bigger shed.) Since then the seal's leaked slightly - right onto the fusebox. I'm now getting fed up of emptying my indicator relay and drying it out.... The seal's only 3 or 4 years old, Wolfsburg west one, and in good nick. I'm not 100% sure I understand the gluing wire thing here - so glue a bead of wire all the way round either the inside or outer edge of the screen to fatten out the seal? Is there a ninja secret to doing this without covering the entire screen in goop? I can't imagine what type of glue would make this easy...any mileage in perhaps just laying a thickish seam of epoxy instead / or as well as, for the wire to sit in? Or maybe replace the OG spec seal with the slightly fatter JustKampers one?

Cheers

Simon
I used 3M door and weatherstrip yellow snot. If you are patient and reasonably coordinated, you just run a bead of the yellow stuff, wait for it to tack, lay the wire on the edge of the glass. I think you should consider a new seal.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks Colin, will do that...

Cheers,