Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:18 am

I did consider reducing the tension on that ridiculous spring, but thought the better of it when I realized that the spring maintains the latching ability by pressing the pawl against the rotator cut-out. Well lubricated latch assembly with a full strength spring seems safest. But if you find, Robbie, that the spring does NOT ensure latching, let me know.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

nikdavy
I'm New!

Post by nikdavy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Awesome post Colin! The roller went (sheared off one half) on my late '73 Bay, and releasing everything to get at it revealed that the cam was split in two, along with the lower release catch, the spring had snapped and the guide block wasn't really guiding much at all...

Thanks to the detail on your post, I've managed to put all the glide together (wouldn't have had a snail's chance in a supernova otherwise!), but the shunters seem to sit (just) too far out for the shunter contact area - the one bit I'm waiting on is the guide block, so hopefully this will cure that little problem.

The thing I am struggling with is the rear bracket that the glide secures to when the door's shut. There's a catch on it which grabs the door when open and which looks like it should be sprung, but it seems to be a different fit/setup to the one on yours - have you any idea what might be missing, as I can't see where a spring would attach, and what kind of spring it should be... Pics are attached and, just to confuse you, it's a right hand drive/left hand door (what with being a UK van).
IMG_9163.jpg
IMG_9123.jpg
Any ideas gratefully received!
Cheers,
Nik

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:15 pm

nikdavy wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:56 pm
Awesome post Colin! The roller went (sheared off one half) on my late '73 Bay, and releasing everything to get at it revealed that the cam was split in two, along with the lower release catch, the spring had snapped and the guide block wasn't really guiding much at all...

Thanks to the detail on your post, I've managed to put all the glide together (wouldn't have had a snail's chance in a supernova otherwise!), but the shunters seem to sit (just) too far out for the shunter contact area - the one bit I'm waiting on is the guide block, so hopefully this will cure that little problem.

The thing I am struggling with is the rear bracket that the glide secures to when the door's shut. There's a catch on it which grabs the door when open and which looks like it should be sprung, but it seems to be a different fit/setup to the one on yours - have you any idea what might be missing, as I can't see where a spring would attach, and what kind of spring it should be... Pics are attached and, just to confuse you, it's a right hand drive/left hand door (what with being a UK van).

IMG_9162.jpg
IMG_9163.jpg

Any ideas gratefully received!
Cheers,
Nik
Nik, your British way of driving bass-ackwards wrong-way down the road and sticking on sliding doors on the wrong side of the vehicle has severely taxed my photo-interpretive capabilities.
<insert "sod off, ya twit" here>

Your little catch levers should have torsion springs that slip over the blades of the levers. You can see them in this photograph, two little lines crossing the lever cross sections:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x133 ... inge11.jpg

nikdavy
I'm New!

Post by nikdavy » Wed May 01, 2019 1:23 am

Yeah, yeah, well at least we can spell colour and neighbour, and know that a trunk is something an elephant has or that a gentleman takes on a grand tour... ;)

Fair point though, I should have been clearer, so I've added some arrows to the images which will probably help; the green springs on the glide are the ones I thing you're referring to (they've been replaced already as the original single-spring version had snapped - the upright pic is an 'after' shot), but it's the other catch marked by the red arrow that's the one I'm struggling with - that notch looks like it should take a spring, but I've no idea what kind or where on the bracket it's actually supposed to attach... There are a couple of other images of just the bracket as well which should make it clearer (on those, the red arrows show the two ends of the same catch).
IMG_9163-2.jpg
IMG_9123-2.jpg
IMG_9197-2.jpg
IMG_9196-2.jpg
We did get the door on, but when sliding it across (carefully!), it jumps out of the runners (top and bottom) just short of closure, at the point where it's pulled into the van; I think that might just be because the glide isn't sitting right relative to the bracket, possibly because of the spring thing, but can you thing of anything else that might be causing that?

Thanks lots,
Nik

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am

nikdavy wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:23 am
it's the other catch marked by the red arrow that's the one I'm struggling with - that notch looks like it should take a spring, but I've no idea what kind or where on the bracket it's actually supposed to attach...
Oh, that hook holds the door open. It is supposed to have a spring to keep the hook out so as to ... "proffer itself" to the black thingy on the door. The black thingy on the door has a round hole that pilots the door to a little bullet (we're "Murican here) stuck on the receiver. You can see the door index and latch at full open. If the hook is lifeless, then the door will not stay open. I have done embarrassing field fixes here (using a pen spring, for example).
Colin

nikdavy
I'm New!

Post by nikdavy » Wed May 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am
Oh, that hook holds the door open... I have done embarrassing field fixes here (using a pen spring, for example).
Colin
Cool, that makes sense. I guess if a pen spring will do the trick it doesn't need to be anything too highly wound, so I'll see what I can find kicking around in the garage... Meantime, the guide block for the glide is on the way, and I'll hopefully get chance over the weekend to have another proper look/try.
Thanks lots for the help - most appreciated :)
Nik

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 pm

nikdavy wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:41 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am
Oh, that hook holds the door open... I have done embarrassing field fixes here (using a pen spring, for example).
Colin
Cool, that makes sense. I guess if a pen spring will do the trick it doesn't need to be anything too highly wound, so I'll see what I can find kicking around in the garage... Meantime, the guide block for the glide is on the way, and I'll hopefully get chance over the weekend to have another proper look/try.
Thanks lots for the help - most appreciated :)
Nik

It gets worse, Nik. I dremeled a seat for the Bic pen spring:

Heck, read the story ...

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11513#p201142

nikdavy
I'm New!

Post by nikdavy » Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 pm
It gets worse, Nik. I dremeled a seat for the Bic pen spring:
Ha ha, genius 😆 Might have to try that sometime...

Apologies for the late reply, btw - haven’t had much chance to work on the van till this weekend, but all now sorted - all bits present and correct, lower roller adjusted so it doesn’t fall out of the track and now have a lovely working door. Thanks load for the help Colin - wouldn’t have made it without you!

Life is sweet (well, apart from the freshly leaking fuel hose, but that’s another story... 🙂 )

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 am

nikdavy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 pm
Life is sweet (well, apart from the freshly leaking fuel hose, but that’s another story... 🙂 )

That freshly leaking fuel hose alerted you with a fresh leak instead of a fireball.
Yes, life IS sweet.
Colin
(German reinforced metric sized hose)

nikdavy
I'm New!

Post by nikdavy » Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 am
nikdavy wrote:

That freshly leaking fuel hose alerted you with a fresh leak instead of a fireball.
Yes, life IS sweet.
Colin
Yes indeed - have read a few scare stories since finding the leak and investigating further...

So, hose like this? https://www.vwheritage.com/n90099601bq- ... e-vw-spare

Or, while I'm at it, is it worth swapping up the bits round it as well: https://www.vwheritage.com/ac127001-e10 ... s-vw-spare? Not the cheapest kit, but is it worth it over just the hose?
IMG_9327.jpg
IMG_9327.jpg (164.03 KiB) Viewed 32466 times
IMG_9316.jpg
IMG_9316.jpg (172.58 KiB) Viewed 32466 times

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 23, 2019 9:15 pm

nikdavy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 am
Amskeptic wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 am
nikdavy wrote:

Yes, life IS sweet.
Colin
Yes indeed - have read a few scare stories since finding the leak and investigating further...

So, hose like this? https://www.vwheritage.com/n90099601bq- ... e-vw-spare

Or, while I'm at it, is it worth swapping up the bits round it as well: https://www.vwheritage.com/ac127001-e10 ... s-vw-spare? Not the cheapest kit, but is it worth it over just the hose?

Get your own hose and clamps and you will be free to install to your personal dictates and save money.
Colin

nikdavy
I'm New!

Post by nikdavy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:09 am

Job done. Now starts first time every time and sounds much happier.
What with one thing leading to another, though, I noticed the brake booster elbows were utterly split/cracked/perished, so I've replaced both of those, but the more I see pictures of other vans' engines, the more I'm looking at mine and wondering, "What the heck...?"
The carbs have been replaced by Webbers which means none of the idling stuff is present, which probably isn't helping, but there are other things blocked off which I'm not sure should be... Looks like one thing is going to lead to another here...
IMG_9356-2.jpg
IMG_9356-2.jpg (277.63 KiB) Viewed 32367 times
This hose comes from the left air horn, from the outlet that normally has an elbow and then the pipe to the left carb idler. It's connected to, well, no idea what - some pipe that disappears out the bottom of the engine bay... The other end is marked by the blue arrow in the next image.
IMG_9358-2.jpg
IMG_9358-2.jpg (264.61 KiB) Viewed 32367 times
The pink arrow is a hose blocked by a big nut. That can't be right, surely...
IMG_9359-2.jpg
IMG_9359-2.jpg (250.47 KiB) Viewed 32367 times
I suspect that the wire marked with the blue arrow (one of the pair of wires coming from the sheath marked with the yellow arrow) should be connected to the empty terminal marked with the pink arrow, but am nervous to do so in case I fry my electrics.

Going to continue my research homework, but any ideas gratefully received!

nikdavy
I'm New!

Post by nikdavy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:03 am

This is what I've got...
IMG_9327-2.jpg
IMG_9327-2.jpg (251.97 KiB) Viewed 32366 times

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:01 am

We will delete these carburetor posts shortly. Let's not contaminate the threads with veering off-topic entries. You may move them to the Fuel Delivery forum while you have time ... :blackeye:

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:22 pm

Perhaps a typo here? The circlip is door side isn't it?
The roller side of the hinge assembly holds the hinge with just a little circlip.