Sticky slider door handle

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Sticky slider door handle

Post by bretski » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 am

We went camping this weekend, and for whatever reason, the slider door handle decided to start binding. The kids were having a really difficult time opening the door from the outside. I put a couple drops of oil down the crevices, but that didn't make a difference at all.

After getting home yesterday afternoon, I took the inside panel off, and took a look at the mechanism. Things looked a little dry.

Rear Latch:

Front Latch:

From my observations, the rear latch seemed to be binding the most. I sprayed a bunch of fresh white lithium grease in there to see if that would help:

This morning, the handle is "bettah", but not quite "buttah". I'd really like it to be "buttah". Any suggestions for smoothing it up further? As I mentioned above, most of the friction seems to be where the metal "strap" enters the rear latch. I was reading Bentley about adjusting the rod, perhaps tightening it up a bit? Insight appreciated...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Sticky slider door handle

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:54 am

bretski wrote:slider door handle decided to start binding.
You need a penetrating oil, like PB BLaster, to attack the old grease. Merely spraying grease over the old stuff is the slow boat to China.

I use ATF in a wand-style bottle as it has good detergent properties. Then I follow it with engine oil. Grease on any sliding parts.

The rear latch has sliding parts you cannot see. Disassembling from the door is your best bet for a thorough job, but try the above baptism method.

ColinInColoradoIn12Days
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Thank you for that, I forgot about the PB Blaster. Before I left for work, I crossed myself and "baptized" the latches. Seems a bit more buttah-ry...I re-greased everything just now.

While I was out there this afternoon, I also gave the rear hinge a nice PB baptism. Will give it some fresh SAE30 tomorrow...

PS - As a further testament to PB Blaster's power...you remember my stuck vent-wing latch that we thought might have had a sheared pin? A nice soak in PB Blaster freed it up last fall!
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio