Door locks

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Door locks

Post by Ritter » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:20 pm

I couldn't stand it anymore. Insert key. Turn [grimace], apply a bit more pressure [question: will today be the day?], turn, ack! open. Whewh! One more time gaining access to the interior of the beast without snapping the key off.

I pulled the locks, handles and the Rube Goldberg device that keeps the door closed or allows access, dependent upon which lever is operated in combination with the others. Degreased. Did I mention the PO (original owner) had big furry dogs? No? Well, the evidence was all over the 32 year old grease. Gads, no wonder they didn't unlock.

Cleaned, lubed and a new lock cylinder installed on the driver's side, my doors now open from inside and out, with and without the key. Thanks to Karl (who is still keeping buses alive) for providing the lock cylinder and keying it to code. I now only have one bus key instead of two.

For those who've wearied of the lock battle, I encourage you to give it a try. It's like buttah.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:50 pm

A bid difference, right? Very satisfying.

JLT
Old School!

Re: Door locks

Post by JLT » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:03 am

Ritter wrote:
Cleaned, lubed and a new lock cylinder installed on the driver's side, my doors now open from inside and out, with and without the key. It's like buttah.
My experience exactly. That old grease just turns into stuff like candle-wax after a while. Ain't it a pleasure to have locks that work?
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:17 am

Our locks work well, unless someone tries to open the front doors while they're locked. Then you either force the key or go in through the slider and pop it from inside. I seem to remember reading a procedure about fixing it somewhere or the other but we rarely lock the doors so I haven't bothered.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:31 am

UUUGGGHHH!! Same thing, my front door locks are horrible. slider and rear hatch are a dream!!! Gotta jiggle the key and same deal as Sped-
-'72 Westy-

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:48 am

Here's the procedure I was referring to for the record... anyone done it?

http://type2.com/rvanness/lock.htm
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:09 pm

sped372 wrote:Here's the procedure I was referring to for the record... anyone done it?

I read that proceedure years ago, I may do this soon but have to find those springs.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:49 pm

sped372 wrote:Here's the procedure I was referring to for the record... anyone done it?

Yup. That's what I dune alright. :blackeye:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Dismantling, cleaning, and rekeying the door handles is a fun late-winter job. The inner workings of the barrel lock is pretty interesting too; I especially like how the little brass fingers all find their proper places when the key is inserted. Those fingers look sorta like Pez candy only with a rectangular hole in the middle. I was glad to clean up the whole operation because it was all pretty gummy inside and the inner-outside of my door handles had a bit of over spray from three paint jobs ago.

So, is the preferred lubricant for the barrel lock a bit of graphite?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm

BellePlaine wrote:Dismantling, cleaning, and rekeying the door handles is a fun late-winter job. The inner workings of the barrel lock is pretty interesting too; I especially like how the little brass fingers all find their proper places when the key is inserted. Those fingers look sorta like Pez candy only with a rectangular hole in the middle. I was glad to clean up the whole operation because it was all pretty gummy inside and the inner-outside of my door handles had a bit of over spray from three paint jobs ago.

So, is the preferred lubricant for the barrel lock a bit of graphite?
I use WD-40 followed by a ploof of graphite powder followed by a quick insertion of the key. I do not use graphite on any lock like those found in Lexi and BMWs. The chance of shorting out the $297.98 door lock actuator position switch theft-deterrent lock-out over-ride sensor contact limiter switch . . . . is just too great.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I use WD-40 followed by a ploof of graphite powder followed by a quick insertion of the key.
How much of a ploof? A big ploof or a little ploof?