Turn Signal Lenses

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Turn Signal Lenses

Post by sped372 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:51 am

So what's the deal with the '68-'72 front signal lenses? Some places say left-right specific, others say interchangeable? I know aftermarket is no good so I'm looking for quality used but don't want to end up with even original parts that don't fit. Seems less than VW-logical to not use the same part in two locations instead of two specific ones.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri May 14, 2010 6:59 am

AKAIK, they are interchangeable. For good used, contact either Chris at Bustedbus, or Ken at TheBusCo.

parts_AT_bustedbus_dot_com

sales_AT_thebusco_dot_com
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks, I'll try them. Basically just keeping an eye peeled but want to make sure I know what to look for.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri May 14, 2010 8:57 am

The Hella ones are not interchangeable.
(Well, they sorta are, but the logo will be upside down and we will all point, slap our knees and guffaw.)

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:31 am

Still, I'd guess an upside-down original would be better than a right-side-up repro.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 am

I've got repro's on my wife's bus and they look as good today (three years old) as the day I bought 'em from CIP, OH THE HORROR!!!

I typically am not a fan of repro'd parts and I'll be the first to slap my knee and guffaw at parts that are sub-par, but in this specific instance, they seem fine... so far.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:54 am

A vote of confidence! I was pretty sure I'd heard only bad things about aftermarket reflectors and lenses and such.

Am I correct in assuming that these were the "high quality" $40/ea ones and not the "bargain" $10/ea ones?
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat May 15, 2010 5:56 am

I just looked at their website and honestly, I think they were the cheapo's. When I bought mine, I don't remember there being a choice and I just bought what they had. I also know if there had been a choice, I would have bought the most expensive ones assuming the quality would follow.

In addition, I looked, and looked and looked and never could find the difference between the "left" and "right" one. I'm sure someone will point and laugh someday if they see my wife's bus.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sat May 15, 2010 7:21 am

Guffaw!!

My uneducated guess is that the itty-bitty groves inside are directional, but a much smarter person will be along shortly to tell me that I am full of shit.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat May 15, 2010 6:23 pm

HA~~~ Im not at all smarter than Static but have the experiance of buying off of Samba or maybe ebay about 4yrs ago ( when I had money) a advertized set of original Hella lenses. They came in original box for $60.00. They were indeed new but both the same side, and if afixed would be upside down on one side. I have not used them as yet, El is still in "beater" mode and much needed paint job is in order. I will advertise for a trade to anyone that may have the other side when the time comes.
Sure don,t want to be ridiculed at any meet-up :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood