Sliding door seal

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:07 pm

+1 on the 3M Yellow 8001. This is the stuff:

1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Halsey had a slider seal on the shelf for over $100 and I was also told they had found some others they could order for $53. Are there crap seals out there? I certainly need a replacement, but don't want to pay $53 for junk that won't work.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:18 pm

I bought a nice one (hecho en Alemania) from OEVeedub a couple of years ago. As I recall, it was inexpensive (less than $40 shipped), and now waits in my parts stash for the day it's needed...

edit to add linky (it's still under $40):
http://www.oeveedub.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... 1-843-792B

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Viande
Getting Hooked!

Post by Viande » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:28 am

bretski wrote:I bought a nice one (hecho en Alemania) from OEVeedub a couple of years ago. As I recall, it was inexpensive (less than $40 shipped), and now waits in my parts stash for the day it's needed...

Interesting, Do you have a picture of the seal? That is less than wholesale on the Genuine VW seal I usually bring in.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 am

Viande wrote:
bretski wrote:I bought a nice one (hecho en Alemania) from OEVeedub a couple of years ago. As I recall, it was inexpensive (less than $40 shipped), and now waits in my parts stash for the day it's needed...

Interesting, Do you have a picture of the seal? That is less than wholesale on the Genuine VW seal I usually bring in.
I paid $78.00 last summer for a Wolfsburg West sliding door seal. It shall wait until 2035 or so when the BobD needs a new one.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Viande wrote:Interesting, Do you have a picture of the seal? That is less than wholesale on the Genuine VW seal I usually bring in.
No, but I can try to dig it out and take a picture, if you'd like. Is there a particular angle that would differentiate a German-made seal from another country of origin?