Let the (pop top) madness begin

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:20 am

So last night, my wife went to bed early and I put our daughter down to bed. Then I slunk into the garage, out the side door and started sanding. I'm not an addict or anything. I just thought I'd get the primer sanded down and then the first coat of paint on before bed. :blackeye:

With a bit-o-luck, I can sneak out for another sanding/painting session on the top tonight so it will be good and dry for installation on Saturday or Sunday. I'll get the rusty/bare body spots painted in the weeee hours Saturday morning when the sweetheart daughter drags me out of bed (she really is a sweetheart, just hard to remember that at 6:00 am on the weekends).
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:22 pm

That last post sounds exactly like my life except I've got two of them (2 and 4). I hardly ever get any work done and never get to sleep in on weekends but somehow I don't really care. :happy3:

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:20 pm

So the top is painted and installed. Some of the hardware I got for the front hing is incorrect, so will have to screw around with it again in the future. Looks pretty good. There are some flaws, but hey, I'm no body/paint man!

[albumimg]2504[/albumimg]

Now it's time for the canvas. Should be a hoot! Maybe I'll get it installed by next weekend. It's here and in a box. Looks nice all folded up.

For comparison:
[albumimg]2500[/albumimg]
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Ritter, How are things coming along with your canvas?
-'72 Westy-

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Tue May 19, 2009 9:49 pm

wow, that's a BIG difference. Looks great, man!

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Wed May 20, 2009 8:21 am

Oregon72 wrote:Ritter, How are things coming along with your canvas?
Uh, er... well....

I hope to get started on it this weekend! :blackeye:

(last two weekends have been packed with other obligations)
justgimmecoffee wrote:wow, that's a BIG difference. Looks great, man!
Thanks! It's a lot of work but worth the effort so far.

I am disappointed with the interior "fuzz." I washed it and it looks better but is disintegrating and dusting the interior with linty crap that I'm not sure I want to be breathing. I think I'll vacuum as much of it off as I can since there does not seem to be a way to restore it.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Almost....got.....it........d..o....n.....e.......

Two lower rear corners to go. What a pain in the a$$. Photos manana.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Ritter wrote:
What a pain in the a$$.
You are so correct. Not a fun project at all, but you will be very glad when you're done.

Congrats.
-'72 Westy-

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:47 am

Take a big breath.....

What I started with (again):

[albumimg]2500[/albumimg]

Now:

[albumimg]2537[/albumimg]

The hardest part is mangling your new $250+ canvas so you can install it. Lower corners must be cut up:
[albumimg]2538[/albumimg]

What a project. It's not perfect but immeasurably improved over what it was. :compress: I did the canvas install with the top on. It's a pain in the ass but doable.

Other odds and ends....

While I had the headliner off and other trim, I ran two wires up the front windshield column (this was fun?) and back over the slider for eventual lighting:
[albumimg]2539[/albumimg]

Did I ever show off my refinished cherry rear hatch cover?
[albumimg]2540[/albumimg]

Secret hatch escape lever (don't tell anyone):
[albumimg]2541[/albumimg]
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:29 am

Your rear panel is a lot like mine, I made it when I was making front door panels....What was involved in adding the inside release?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:52 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:What was involved in adding the inside release?
Not much. If you've had the panel off, you may have noticed there is a lever on the lock mechanism with two holes in it (sorry, can't find the picture). Put a wire/bolt/etc. through the hole and then through your panel. Super secret escape release done.

I fancied mine up with a grommet and will eventually add some sort of drawer pull. I've also discovered that an interior handle or strap to hang on to so the hatch doesn't go flying upward at mach 12 would be useful.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI