Re: Parts: Known to be Acceptable

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Viande wrote:Thought I might add a little here. If this is not the place or if it has been covered please move or just delete.

The OEM door and hatch seals are Grey. This is a release agent and should be removed prior to installation. Once installed they should also be lubricated with silicone to aid the break-in process. I generally clean mine prior to shipping to save the customer the trouble but I know most do not. So I thought it worth mentioning so people do not install them as they arrive. Good luck
I thought I liked release agent. Does it not help prevent sticking? I do a silly GumOut and talcum powder surface treatment that has helped prevent transfer, chafing, twittering, and sticking.

Are you familiar with Gummiflege® seal conditioner available until recently from BMW dealers?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Viande
Getting Hooked!

Post by Viande » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Viande wrote:Thought I might add a little here. If this is not the place or if it has been covered please move or just delete.

The OEM door and hatch seals are Grey. This is a release agent and should be removed prior to installation. Once installed they should also be lubricated with silicone to aid the break-in process. I generally clean mine prior to shipping to save the customer the trouble but I know most do not. So I thought it worth mentioning so people do not install them as they arrive. Good luck
I thought I liked release agent. Does it not help prevent sticking? I do a silly GumOut and talcum powder surface treatment that has helped prevent transfer, chafing, twittering, and sticking.

Are you familiar with Gummiflege® seal conditioner available until recently from BMW dealers?
Colin
It is simply to allow release from the molds. It is not a lubricant. Gummipfledge as you noted was discontinued in favor of carbaflo from Fuchs. 4 times the price for half as much!!! I know some claim Silicone is bad but I personally have not had issue with it's use over the years. I use 3m Silicone grease. A light coat then wipe off the excess with a shop towel.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:51 pm

I installed mine gray-powdery, but I'm going to hell anyway.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Viande
Getting Hooked!

Post by Viande » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:07 pm

hambone wrote:I installed mine gray-powdery, but I'm going to hell anyway.
I did sell one Hatch seal and Engine lid seal to a member here. Perhaps he will post a pic after the install. They look good in black. Btw see you their I have front row seats. :geek:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Viande wrote:
I did sell one Hatch seal and Engine lid seal to a member here. Perhaps he will post a pic after the install. They look good in black. Btw see you their I have front row seats. :geek:
You should know two things here, there, wherever:

1) Read the Read This First announcement viewtopic.php?t=245

2) Read the Mission Statement of this website. We are devoted to the notion that it is more economical to pay twice as much for something that lasts four times longer.
Colin

Viande
Getting Hooked!

Post by Viande » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Viande wrote:
You should know two things here, there, wherever:

1) Read the Read This First announcement viewtopic.php?t=245

2) Read the Mission Stement of this website. We are devoted to the notion that it is more economical to pay twice as much for something that lasts four times longer.
Colin
My bad, I have been to busy reading the latest iteration of other pressing matters. I will get right on that. :cyclopsani:

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Attention Seal Seekers

After reading tons of recent threads on this topic I opted to order a couple of seals for my '78 bus from viande (engine hatch and rear cargo door). He has ads for various new, high quality, OEM parts on this site and also on TS.

I just want to say that the seals I got are excellent, perfect even. I'm pretty sure my existing seals are original but are very worn. The seals I got from viande (aka Bobby) look to be exact replicas of my existing seals. The rubber feels like quality and the fit is perfect. Prices were very good too.

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Re: Parts: Known to be Acceptable

Post by 71whitewesty » Mon May 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Mustard vinyl seat cover set I just received.
I love a when you find something good. I've been casually looking for mustard vinyl for my 71 Westy as my covers are starting to get some tears in them. Once they tear they really start to go if you use them much. I actually like the mustard vinyl in a stock bus and it has lasted soooo long with who knows what spilled on them and they look great until you rip them.
So I bought a roll of the mustard vinyl (great stuff, perfect match) off this site about a year ago and still haven't got around to having someone copy my original covers.
Then I found these below and ordered a whole set of them. It was almost what I paid for just the vinyl and these were sewn and shipped to my door.
They are awesome. Great quality, perfect match right down to the mustard colored snaps. I think it may be just a hair thicker and that is fine by me. It looks and feels like these will last a long long time.
I did have one piece that wasn't quite like the original and it's the seat back to the jump sets behind the drivers. It's a nice cover but really made to fit a thicker foam. Still looks great but I emailed the company and they want me to send them my original torn one and they will make a pattern off it and send me back my original and a new copy of it. These guys are on it and want to get it right. Lots of other hard to find stuff on their site, check them out.
Shipped from the UK and at my door in less than a week. I don't know how it got here so fast.

http://nlavw.com/gb/interior/410-westfa ... ginal.html

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Re: Parts: Known to be Acceptable

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Thank you that is so tempting...once I get some cabbage I will get a set, at least for the seat. That mustard yellow is such an ugly gray yellow, even new but it is so iconic.
How much was shipping from the UK?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:34 am

Shipping was about $85 ish. The whole 7 piece set bought and shipped to Oregon for about $495.

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 pm

I've just fitted the mudflap brackets from Butty's Bits. Super quality, recommended.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:50 am

jalabert wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 pm
I've just fitted the mudflap brackets from Butty's Bits. Super quality, recommended.

Website? Contact info? Price? Picture?
Colin?

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:50 am
jalabert wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 pm

Website? Contact info? Price? Picture?
Colin?
https://www.buttysbits.com/product-cate ... ap-mounts/

I also can't say enough good things about his pedal linkage.