Pop top canvas replacement

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Pop top canvas replacement

Post by tractoman » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:57 pm

Do we have a good guide for replacing canvas and good source? I tried a couple searches that did not help. Of course I am looking for orange canvas cause my camper is an orange ‘75.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Pop top canvas replacement

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:34 am

tractoman wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:57 pm
Do we have a good guide for replacing canvas and good source? I tried a couple searches that did not help. Of course I am looking for orange canvas cause my camper is an orange ‘75.
We do not have a write-up about it. I did mine in 2017 and installed the canvas inside-out so you had to crawl out of bed, get the step ladder, climb up to open the flaps or screens .....
SO
I had to undo a thousand staples, turn the canvas around, re-staple, and still try to keep it from being wrinkled at full open. The canvas is now a half-decade of active use. Some mold from Florida nights.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:44 pm

That other VW site has a lot of archived experience, and Colin still posts there, so he won't mind the reference.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... as&start=0

There are many other threads there if you do some searching. We do a lot of wistful longing for the quality of original parts, but there are some areas where technology moves on, and the VW engineers would have surely chosen the new materials had they been available. Sunbrella is much more mold and UV resistant, and is simply a better material than canvas.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Jaffa
I'm New!

Post by Jaffa » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:05 pm

For the canvas mine is originally from VWBusshop.de. But I'm sure I bought it from the Busdepot. Orange and as close to the original that you can't really tell them apart. Right colour, right fit and three windows.
Craig