Defeated by Tailpipe. '76 FI exhaust non-cal.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JRR
I'm New!

Defeated by Tailpipe. '76 FI exhaust non-cal.

Post by JRR » Sat May 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello,

Replaced FI single tip exhaust (and EGR filter/pipe) today. Old unit way gone and sounded like a steam tractor. Replaced with ANSA unit from CIP1.

However, I thought I was going to be 10 minutes from victory and the glory that comes.....Could not get the tailpipe to clamp to the muffler.

The below is from WW for the carb version. The FI has the flange on the tailpipe and I ordered the sintered donut and swage ring accordingly under the clamp. However I could not get the clamp tight enough for the donut the grip the muffler stub. It seems that the flange radius is too great to allow the clamp to close enough.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.44 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
Is my kung-fu flawed or is this another aftermarket blues?

Thanks

Jeff

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Defeated by Tailpipe. '76 FI exhaust non-cal.

Post by asiab3 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 am

It sounds like you're talking about two different joints. The inlet of the muffler [Q] from the catalytic converter [O] (or straight pipe [S]) is a donut clamp [T], the outlet of the muffler to the tailpipe [V] should be a 3-bolt triangle flange. [D]

Exactly which parts did you replace? Which gaskets did you renew?

Robbie

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

JRR
I'm New!

Post by JRR » Sun May 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Hello Robbie,

I am experiencing low "T." The bug muffler uses that kind of clamp with a sintered donut and swage ring to compress the donut against the muffler port as the clamp is tightened. I suspect that the flange diameter on the tail pipe is too great to allow the crap clamp, donut, ring setup to close enough to squeeze the donut to the muffler outlet to secure the tailpipe.

...While writing this I tried the old tailpipe and clamp with the new donut...broken bolt later (total 4) no joy. Simply this FI muffler and tailpipe combo not happening with this hardware. Luckily, I'm two minutes from the professionals on muffler row. Hopefully someone will read this account in the future. AND I ALMOST FORGOT THE EXHAUST BOLTS WERE TOO SHORT TO REACH THROUGH THE MUFFLER AND MOUNT ON THE HEATER BOXES ( Do not recommend.CIP1 muffler installation kit vwc-043-298-001)

All in all, this was a pretty easy job, the egr had been blocked by a copper disk in what was left of the lower egr tube. Tested the joints with the soapy water - blowing shopvac backward, and all tight. Sounds much better.

Thanksagain

JEff

JRR
I'm New!

Post by JRR » Mon May 20, 2019 4:21 am

I couldn't leave it alone...The problem is in the ANSA exhaust not the clamp. The exit of the ANSA is 39mm diameter and the removed exhaust was 42 mm. Lesson #2342692 in price point purchasing.

Thanks

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 24, 2019 7:18 am

JRR wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:21 am
I couldn't leave it alone...The problem is in the ANSA exhaust not the clamp. The exit of the ANSA is 39mm diameter and the removed exhaust was 42 mm. Lesson #2342692 in price point purchasing.

Thanks

We coldly laugh bitterly as our hapless economy-minded members discover but shattered hopes and dashed dreams for a bargain VW side hobby.

The good news is that judiciously selected horrendously expensive parts will often almost work.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles