Fresh Air Doors -Gasket?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Fresh Air Doors -Gasket?

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Is there a gasket that goes in the twin doors behind the fresh air grill on the bay window front? The PO on mine had glued two cotton gym socks to the back sides of the two doors, as some sort of air barriers, I guess. We discovered them while preparing to paint. Some solution...I can't get over some of the things you find on these vehicles.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Fresh Air Doors -Gasket?

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:10 pm

I saw Colin use some flat neoprene-looking rubber sheets on Naranja.

I couldn't find the picture of whoever inspired me to use foam strips, but I did. I tried open-cell foam at first, like in the picture. I still felt a few small leaks, so i went with a closed-cell foam for the final sealing.

I can not find any reference to the seals being made these days, so I made do.
Robbie

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:27 am

Thanks, Robbie. I've ordered some 1/8" closed cell neoprene for this. Colin-were the original flap doors gray?

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:31 am

Jivermo wrote:Thanks, Robbie. I've ordered some 1/8" closed cell neoprene for this. Colin-were the original flap doors gray?
My '69 flaps were originally black, under primer, under orange. :drunken:

There is (on early early bays...) a range of adjustments for the flap doors. With the seal being a different thickness from stock, you may need to lengthen the turnbuckle adjustment on one or both sides, especially with the late bays having one knob for two flaps.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:36 am

Jivermo wrote:Thanks, Robbie. I've ordered some 1/8" closed cell neoprene for this. Colin-were the original flap doors gray?
On our late buses, yes, grey . . . I used grey filler/primer as a perfect color match to factory grey, then a couple of coats of clear. You should have the grey engine cover as well. The Road Warrior (1973) and Naranja (1977) have black engine covers, Road Warrior had black fresh air flaps while Naranja has grey. Naranja's surplus adhesive foam strips from the BobD re-foam of 2010, are thus far airtight and this is a good thing considering the 24* temps I must drive into.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles