Guns, Paint

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Guns, Paint

Post by Mulcheese » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:54 pm

I will be painting the van this spring so I am in the market for some guns. I do not want high end but I also dont want some crap. What is a decent gun that I can prime and top with? Again I am looking for suggestions and am open to all opinions.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Guns, Paint

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Eastwood has some decent guns but even the Harbor Freight HVLP ones work. The quality of the paint and the mixing of the parts is the critical step (paint, hardner and thinner). Of course the prep work is the biggest thing for the job. I always use a epoxy primer for bare metal as it seals the metal against any moisture getting thru. Stuff is nasty so I paint it outside.
A good compressor with enough air CFM is a must for even spray and then a water trap and a filter at the gun.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Thanks Bleyseng. I checked into the HF guns. For under $50 for 2 and pretty good reviews that is most likely the right set for me. I am by no means a pro so I feel that I don't need professional grade guns. Besides as most say it's mainly in the prep. Now to decide what direction on the paint.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:43 am

As for guns, I picked mine up in a two pack at Walmart for about $50. Thry have been good for three years and two cars. The fine settings are hard to deal with, but otherwise fine. As for paint, I used Napa custom stuff on the van, and it was ridiculously expensive...and not great longevity. On the new project, I am using tractor primer from Tractor Supply Co., and paint too...the primer was less than 1/4 the cost, and the paint 1/10. I know it will not be as good, but $100 vs $600...worth a try, say I.

I should mention that my skill level is just high enough to take a car from "scrap" to "junk."
Good luck.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:08 am

cegammel wrote:As for paint, I used Napa custom stuff on the van, and it was ridiculously expensive...and not great longevity.
What kind of paint, single stage or base/clear?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:18 pm

I have used the cheaper single stage PPG paint on my 914 and the more expensive PPG on the Westy. They both work fine and don't fade. It's all in the prep and mixing and setting up the gun correctly.
Geoff

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Single stage, and my mixing and setup could definitely (read: most certainly were) problematic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:27 am

cegammel wrote:Single stage, and my mixing and setup could definitely (read: most certainly were) problematic.
I had problematic paint right out of the Sherwin Williams can last spring, it never hardened. Had to add some hieroglyphical Greek hardener to a Preval bottle sprayer and madly add a coat to two bumpers before the previous ones could "cure" or "set" or whatever it was fixing to do . . .
ColinProblematic-R-Us

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:19 am

BTW had the same issue you did with Duplicolor spray, splattery and dull finish. Poo.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:33 pm

hambone wrote:BTW had the same issue you did with Duplicolor spray, splattery and dull finish. Poo.
Honest to God, there has been a decline below even the appearance of giving a damn.
ColinWeShallOvercome

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:27 pm

I used PPG delstar acrylic enamel Nepal Orange on the 914. Decent paint and I used it again to paint the engine bay. Yeah, took a day to harden up.
On the Westy I used PPG Concept Acrylic Urethane and it was much better paint and more expense. Very similar to the paint I was using in Suriname to paint cabinets (Mipa German paint). I'd use this paint if it matters as it's really nice but $500 a gal plus the hardener and thinners.
Get the Acrylic a Cleaner to wipe down the car just before painting and use new tack cloths
HB has cheap paint filters to filter the paint after mixing when you pour it in the gun.
Use a line filter at the gun, water trap/filter at the compressor etc....
The trick is the mix as too thick and it will orange peel and too thin makes for runs. If it's hot out the paint will set off slowly thickening in the gun if you paint slowly. Just add more thinner....
Do several coats to build up the paint waiting until its tacky but not dry to recoat.
Geoff

69doublecab
I'm New!

Post by 69doublecab » Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 am

In the last 40 years I have painted a few cars. I liked PPG (Ditzler) as well as any. Heard very positive reports of R-M Inmont , now BASF. In fact a few years back knew of a whole RM mixing setup for sale. Likely still there, do not know if it could be kept replenished. Acrylic enamel product -Diamont?
Of course the cat's meow would be European paints, but hotels in London might be a cheaper high. Glasso, Sikkins. One more I can't remember now. Some nice stuff on Youtube from Glasso in resto work. Auf Deutsch.
Guns. Sata are the best. Pawn shops are the best place to get them or Craigs list. A watch battery powered pressure gauge on a paint gun seems like a guarantee for disappointment.
Some Chinese guns look pretty good. I have a HF touch up HVLP gun. not tried it yet. But $30, seems crazy cheap.
Al Brase