VW clock repair

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

VW clock repair

Post by JLT » Wed May 18, 2011 1:32 pm

I've got a working clock in my '71 bus, but it's not working well. It loses a half hour every week or so. I would sure like to keep it, so I'm asking the forum if anybody can recommend a person who's good at fixing them and cleaning them (the fact that it works at all, but just runs real slow, suggests that a good clean is all it might need).

Pjalou is the only one I know who was in the same boat, but his clock repair wizard passed away, so he's no help.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: VW clock repair

Post by dtrumbo » Wed May 18, 2011 3:47 pm

I used these guys to fix the clock in my '79 Beetle. It works perfectly and I mean absolutely perfectly. I have to adjust the clock in my Beetle exactly twice a year. This is verified by my watch which I Yup, PDT and PST. It keeps perfect time without one adjustment the rest of the year. Give 'em a try.

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed May 18, 2011 4:20 pm

If its an actual period correct clock for your bus(68 to 72) and has the white back on it, there is a brass adjusting screw on the back. It may take you awhile to get the adjustment right. Hook it to 12 volts, while out of the bus, until you get it right. The other mdel clocks have no external adjusting screw and will probably need to be sent out.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 19, 2011 10:02 am

You can clean it yourself. My Squareback clock got sparingly shot with well-aimed drops of WD-40 and hand-spun in a reversing rotational manner to persuade the escape movement to get back with the program. You need to keep the face and hands away from any lubricant.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Thu May 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Amskeptic wrote:You can clean it yourself. My Squareback clock got sparingly shot with well-aimed drops of WD-40 and hand-spun in a reversing rotational manner to persuade the escape movement to get back with the program. You need to keep the face and hands away from any lubricant.
Colin
WD-40? Would that work as a lubricant for this purpose? I'd always been told that WD-40 ends up getting sticky, collecting dust, and eventually making things worse.

But I might give that ago when I get back from a trip this weekend.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 20, 2011 9:22 am

JLT wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:You can clean it yourself. My Squareback clock got sparingly shot with well-aimed drops of WD-40 and hand-spun in a reversing rotational manner to persuade the escape movement to get back with the program. You need to keep the face and hands away from any lubricant.
Colin
WD-40? Would that work as a lubricant for this purpose? I'd always been told that WD-40 ends up getting sticky, collecting dust, and eventually making things worse.

But I might give that ago when I get back from a trip this weekend.
Ham-handed drenchers get what they deserve. Light, cautious, alert, applicators know what time it is.
Colin :drunken:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles