'77 Bus, Left Dim, Right Bright

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

'77 Bus, Left Dim, Right Bright

Post by RussellK » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:39 am

'77 Fuel Injected Bay. The motor is out and I am reassembling the Bay after a trip to the body shop. I installed the headlights and the front and rear running lights and rear markers. Also a freshly charged battery. Headlamps look OK. But the left side running lights both front & rear and left marker is at 50% of the brightness of the right. Also a test of the left turn signal flashes rapidly sometimes then quits or does nothing at all. Right turn signal is perfect. Four ways are perfect. Wondering if I shouldn't worry until the motor is back in and everything hooked back up or do I get to work cleaning contacts etc. Thanks all for your help.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:14 am

I'd clean all the contacts. Sockets, terminal, grounds, etc... My Bus had quite a few electrical problems when I got it. This fixed most of them.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:34 pm

clean all the contacts. Sockets, terminal, grounds, etc
That's what I'm thinking too. Is there anything that cleans electrical contacts etc besides physically cleaning them with an abrasive? Radio Shack have anything that works?

Tex33M
I'm New!

Post by Tex33M » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:42 pm

I use Tarn-x. It cleans copper bright and shiny and then a dab of dielectric grease to stave off corrosion.
Mae the 76 Westy
2.0L of Fuel Injected Fury