'72 Ignition Switch Electrical Part Re-build?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BumbleBus
Addicted!

'72 Ignition Switch Electrical Part Re-build?

Post by BumbleBus » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Currently I start the '72 with a flip switch and push button. Sure it works, but it's not very OG. I ordered a new electrical part for the ignition switch, but got sent the wrong year (anyone need a '73+ part?). So... I found the original electrical part, which was caked in grease and grime and in pieces. I cleaned up the bits and it looks like I might have all the parts I need to re-assemble it. I'm trying to find an internal schematic or something to guide my way. Am I smoking crack to try this? Thoughts (besides just ordering a new one.. haha)?

'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Two things. Order a new one, and those all white ignition switch replacements are garbage. BusDepot and German Supply carry the original black and white version.

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Vdubtech wrote:Order a new one
Yeah, yeah.. I know.. and I will, but this is a fun experiment. :wink: Plus, so far, no one seems to have one for a '72. I was told I could use a '68-'71 and "ignore the extra wires". We'll see.

Anyway, I put it together in what seemed the most logical way. I got it installed, but couldn't find a set screw the right size of course. I went as low as an M4 10mm... maybe tomorrow. Anyway she was in there pretty good.

I wired it up with Andersons since I'll no doubt be taking it in and out a bunch and 'lo and behold.. 1 turn.. lights, fuel pump, action! 2nd turn to start and... nothing... makes the clicky sound, but it's not doing what it's supposed to. So, I probably put it together slightly offset or something. Will experiment. Anyway, 50% of a real OG key/ignition is definite progress! :cheers:

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Well son of a bitch... was jostling with some wires and Little Train came over to check it out and she fired right up! Un-f'in-real! So clearly I just need to get the set screw in there to hold it nice and tight. Anyway... OG ignition/key... done. On to the next thing. That makes for a nice Sunday. :cheers:

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:44 pm

*sigh* Just spent 30 minutes searching here and TS for the size of the tiny set screw that secures the electrical part to the mechanical part of the ignition. There is a lot of talk about that screw, but I can't for the life of me find the size. Bentley 4-23 also mentions the screw, but also doesn't mention the size. Does anyone know the exact size of that screw? Thanks in advance if you do!!!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:16 am

Do you have a good hardware store nearby to take the parts to? Start trying some screws. You may be able to get one and size it to your need.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:32 pm

BumbleBus wrote:*sigh* Just spent 30 minutes searching here and TS for the size of the tiny set screw that secures the electrical part to the mechanical part of the ignition. There is a lot of talk about that screw, but I can't for the life of me find the size. Bentley 4-23 also mentions the screw, but also doesn't mention the size. Does anyone know the exact size of that screw? Thanks in advance if you do!!!
I think it is WhateverSizeShortSelfTappingScrewYouManageToJamInThere.
If you used Dielectric Grease on the contact surfaces, it can last longer than the original build.

I wonder if the '73 throttle cable allen screw would work? It is a nice jam nut 2.5mm wrench, nice and short.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles