'60 Bug Alternator Conversion

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jays60rag
I'm New!

'60 Bug Alternator Conversion

Post by Jays60rag » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:33 pm

I have a 1960 bug with a 1600 dual port from a 1971 or so beetle. I just replaced the generator with an alternator. The problem is that the wiring diagrams are obviously different. The 1960 diagram shows the lead wire going from the battery to the starter then to the generator. Then the main hot wire to the fuse box comes off of the generator. The later wiring diagrams show the main hot wire to the fuse box coming off the battery. The alternator connects directly to the battery. I now have two wires attached to my alternator and I think I can do with just one. Both ways seem to be the same in the end, but I have seen smoke coming from the new alternator so I am not sure if it is actually wired correctly.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '60 Bug Alternator Conversion

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:40 am

Jays60rag wrote:I have a 1960 bug with a 1600 dual port from a 1971 or so beetle. I just replaced the generator with an alternator. The problem is that the wiring diagrams are obviously different. The 1960 diagram shows the lead wire going from the battery to the starter then to the generator. Then the main hot wire to the fuse box comes off of the generator. The later wiring diagrams show the main hot wire to the fuse box coming off the battery. The alternator connects directly to the battery. I now have two wires attached to my alternator and I think I can do with just one. Both ways seem to be the same in the end, but I have seen smoke coming from the new alternator so I am not sure if it is actually wired correctly.
B+ from alternator should go to the starter terminal. The main wire to the fuse box should come from this terminal as well.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles