'75 Westy Alternator Dash Light Function

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:57 am

dingo wrote:Still having overcharging issues, so this points to internal grounding gone haywire.

Is there an actual physical wire from the alternator to ground? The wiring schematic shows one, but I have not located it so I don't know if it exists or if they are just assuming that the engine is grounded to the chassis.
Alternator is grounded through the mounting bracket, and a fine ground it is. Keep us posted on your resolution. Was the spare a real OEM used alternator, or a "rebuilt"?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:
dingo wrote:Still having overcharging issues, so this points to internal grounding gone haywire.

Is there an actual physical wire from the alternator to ground? The wiring schematic shows one, but I have not located it so I don't know if it exists or if they are just assuming that the engine is grounded to the chassis.
Alternator is grounded through the mounting bracket, and a fine ground it is. Keep us posted on your resolution. Was the spare a real OEM used alternator, or a "rebuilt"?
Colin
O.K. Thanks. Well it must be a glitch with the internal grounding between the brush and the case/bracket. It's an intermittent issue, so maybe moisture plays a role?

Spare alternator? Just another junkyard find. It's in pieces and the coastal fog has intruded on the bearings.
I doubt any of them are OEM at this stage. A guy in the biz told me that nothing is rebuilt. It is sandblasted and tested, and then either goes in the 'rebuilt' pile or the junk pile.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."