'71 Bus No Brake Lights

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jblair630
Getting Hooked!

'71 Bus No Brake Lights

Post by jblair630 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:42 pm

So Ol' Phred's inspection sticker is due in a couple of days and this is my yearly episode in humility. Every year I have taken Phred to get inspected and every year there is one thing wrong that forces me to come back in a couple of days. One year it was the license plate light, one year is was windshield wipers, you get the idea. Now, I always go to the same place to get my inspection done. Terry's Inspections is a one-man operation and he really enjoys what he's doing. We talk about the bus, modern cars, and the ongoing projects he's got behind the shop. A 68 (?) Chevy Impala and a 64 Ford Fairlane. He's been working on these cars for years and loves to talk to someone else who does their own work on their cars. Anyway, Terry doesn't make any money from me making a second trip when I don't pass inspection, he just wants to make sure that everything is legal and above board.

Well, this year I am determined to pass on the first shot and see the look of utter disbelief on Terry's face (that would make my day). I get the inspection criteria from TXDOT website and go over everything myself. The first thing I notice is that the horn doesn't work. Its been so long since I have needed to use it that I'm not surprised to find that it hasn't worked for who knows how long (at least since the last inspection). I check the connections on the horn and they are good, but I clean them anyway. Then I remember some folks saying that the horn button was a place of failure on a regular basis. Sure enough, I pop the button off and there is 35 years of dust, dirt and crap down in there. :pukeleft: I take the ring out and clean everything up, put it back together and Voila...it works...we are horn-y once again.

I can hear you saying, "Get to the point, Jeffrey. Two long paragraphs and you still haven't mentioned the freakin' tail lights" OK, OK I'm getting there. So, now that I've got the horn working. I'm going back through the checklist and I find that my brake lights aren't coming on. I turn on the headlights and the tail lights come on, I turn on turn signals and they work just fine but no brake lights. :scratch:

I open up the trusty Bentley and test the brake light switches on the master cylinder. No dice. According to the Bentley that would mean that both brake light switches will have failed at the same time. Not bloody likely. I check the bulbs just in case both of them have failed at the same time also, yeah right. Nope, both bulbs are fine. So out comes the multimeter and its time to start tracing wires. As you all are probably aware, this sucks rocks big time. Tracing wires is an exercise in patience at best and a royal PITA at worst :banghead:

The only thing I can think is that when Colin and I yanked the engine out during his visit, we disturbed that rat's nest of wiring that I improvised after my engine fire a couple of years ago. So, testing wires. Power getting to the brake light switches. Check. Power getting to the rear of the bus. Check. Power getting to the bulbs. Check. Now I am officially confused. Off to walk the dogs and clear my head.

When I get back, I pop on to here and the Samba and do a search for anything that might jar a couple of brain cells into place and give me an idea of what's wrong. I find an old post where a guy is talking about hooking up a new radio in his old bus and whenever he applied the brakes the CD player would cut out. Now, after about 5 years I had finally put a radio into Phred and jerry-rigged some speakers so that I could have a tune or two while running around. I would listen occasionally because I like to hear the engine and listen for little sounds before they become big problems. After Colin and I put on the new stock exhaust, the engine was so quiet that I had to retrain my listening, so no radio. Well, I had turned on the radio while I was working so I would have some tunes and I thought what the heck, take a look.

I disconnected the power supply to the radio and what do you know, the brake lights come on. I trace the wire back and it is connected to the same circuit and fuse as the brake lights. Brake lights are on #10 and the ACC fuse from a couple of years earlier was also #10. The PO had used the wrong diagram to cobble in the wiring for the radio. When using the radio and the brake lights together this created too much of a draw for either to work correctly. Hardly noticeable with the radio but the CD player will cut off. Radios from that long ago wouldn't have drawn enough power to be a problem but modern head units draw quite a bit more. So I rewired the radio to the proper ACC fuse (#7) and everything is now groovy. :drunken:

But Jeffrey, you tested the wiring and there was power getting to the tail lights. What gives? Yes there was power but I had the multimeter on a setting that was too low. Power was getting there but not enough to light up the brake lights. Sort of a trickle of energy instead of the full stream that was necessary. Another lesson learned, use the multimeter in the manner it was designed and you'll get the results you're supposed to.

Off to go get inspected on Monday.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Grateful Phred - 1971 Bus
Fweem - 1974 Super Beetle

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:22 pm

=D>

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '71 Bus No Brake Lights

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:18 pm

jblair630 wrote:I disconnected the power supply to the radio and what do you know, the brake lights come on.
Off to go get inspected on Monday.
Good Job! It gets easier. . . Hope you surprise Terry.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jblair630
Getting Hooked!

Post by jblair630 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:43 am

Went to get inspected yesterday after work and actually passed on the first time.

Pulled in and chewed the fat with Terry for awhile then he said, "Well, let's see what's wrong this year." After about 10 minutes of checking everything out, he said, "I can't believe it, you passed. You NEVER pass on the first time"

So he puts the paperwork through and puts a new sticker on the windshield, then he grabs his clipboard again and says, "Hang on a sec. I gotta see this again." He goes through the whole inspection again as I'm sitting there grinning. When he gets done, he just shakes his head and says, "Jeezus Jeffrey, absolutely nothing wrong. Only took you 5 years to get to the point where you passed on the first shot."

Felt good to get something right the first time.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Grateful Phred - 1971 Bus
Fweem - 1974 Super Beetle

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:47 am

=D>
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra