Alternator Won't Charge Without Indicator

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

foxtail
Getting Hooked!

Alternator Won't Charge Without Indicator

Post by foxtail » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:06 pm

After pulling the engine for the third time and replacing the alternator we found out that if the alternator indicator light is burned out the battery will not charge. So a temp fix for it was we pulled the oil pressure wire and put it on the alternator, it worked.

I was wonder if anybody else has had this problem.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Alternator Won't Charge Without Indicator

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:30 pm

foxtail wrote:After pulling the engine for the third time and replacing the alternator we found out that if the alternator indicator light is burned out the battery will not charge. So a temp fix for it was we pulled the oil pressure wire and put it on the alternator, it worked.

I was wonder if anybody else has had this problem.
I am a little confused here.
"pulled the oil pressure wire and put it on the alternator" as in pulling the wire off the oil pressure sender unit and sticking it on the alternator?
Pulled the oil pressure lamp wire and moved it over to the generator lamp socket?

We of alternator persuasion are aware of the fact that the alternator exciter diodes use the alternator warning lamp circuit to initiate charging, yes. But I think the solution you came up with appears to go around the real fix of just changing the bulb. In a field emergency out on the road, I would take the parking lamp warning light bulb and using it for the alternator warning light to maintain charging, but no way would I sacrifice the oil pressure warning circuit.
ColinConfused

foxtail
Getting Hooked!

Alternator

Post by foxtail » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:01 am

We pulled the wire off the oil sender and pluged it onto the alternator spade. It was only a temp fix until we could fix some other wiring problems. We are still in the fix stage and not running the bus that much. Right now it is down...the engine is pulled doing some carb work. Who ever had the bus before me sure messed up the wiring. This area is the only area to get fixed.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:07 am

Weird that a 1 cent bulb denies charging when out. Well you shouldn't drive without the light anyway.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat