'78 Bus Mystery Wire Under The Dash/Rear Window Defogger

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

'78 Bus Mystery Wire Under The Dash/Rear Window Defogger

Post by Westy78 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:20 pm

While trying to figure out where my mouse invasion occurred, under the dash I found this wire hanging loose.

It appears to be a factory wire and I think it goes to the rear window defrost knob. Possibly why my defroster has never worked. Before I plug it back onto the switch can someone confirm on their own rear defrost switch?

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:54 pm

I'll check tomorrow morning if you can wait that long Jasan. As a side note, how are you able to get those great shots with no room to work back there? Seriously.. so you take ten pictures and hope one is in focus?
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:58 pm

IFBwax wrote:I'll check tomorrow morning if you can wait that long Jasan.
That'd be great. Thanks Wayne.
IFBwax wrote:As a side note, how are you able to get those great shots with no room to work back there? Seriously.. so you take ten pictures and hope one is in focus?
Yep, that's about it. Turn on the macro, aim at the general area and hope for the best. :profileright: That shot took about eight attempts before the focus was actually on the switch and not some random wire or piece of dust.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:19 am

Here's mine.

I'm pretty sure you're correct. That's the defroster wire. If yours works just by hooking up the wire, I'll be SOOOO jealous! There are very few working rear defrosters in buses anymore. Typically, the grid on the rear window deteriorates and quits working.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:29 am

Thanks! That definitely looks like the one. I highly doubt that my rear defrost is actually going to work. Like you said, the grid isn't in great shape.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:46 am

dtrumbo wrote:There are very few working rear defrosters in buses anymore. Typically, the grid on the rear window deteriorates and quits working.
Really? I'm sorry, guys.

Mine works! :cherry:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:15 am

bretski wrote:
dtrumbo wrote:There are very few working rear defrosters in buses anymore. Typically, the grid on the rear window deteriorates and quits working.
Really? I'm sorry, guys.

Mine works! :cherry:
:cheers: Woo hoo! I would bet yours and BobD are among the few.

This has been beat to death over on TS, but has anyone successfully repaired their grid with that goo that you can get at your FLAPS that comes in a finger-nail-polish-style bottle? You mask off your window and "repaint" your grid lines with the stuff. I bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Yeah, yeah, it's on the list. :cyclopsani:
- Dick

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 am

It should work. I'd be tempted to use conductive paint that is used for circuitboard repairs, though.

BTW, blast you! :joker: You made me go out and inspect my grid. It could use a little touch-up here and there...

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:32 am

Yeah, give it a try and let us know, I want to get mine working too.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

dcketh
I'm New!

Post by dcketh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:37 pm

bretski wrote:I'd be tempted to use conductive paint that is used for circuitboard repairs, though.
Keep in mind that whatever you use has to have enough resistance to get warm, as well as provide a load for the circuit. If it is conductive enough to act like a wire it will also act like a dead short and blow your fuse. I'm not saying it won't work, because I don't know, only that it might take some experimentation, which is always fun! On the otherhand, if you can find all the breaks then this would be perfect for repairing them.

edit: Now that I read this again I realize you were talking about painting over them to repair any breaks, which should work well. At first I was thinking you meant removing the old lines and completely repainting them from scratch.
~ Dan ~
---
'66 Beetle Deluxe
'71 Westy Hardtop

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:43 pm

This is what I bought, but haven't used yet.

- Dick

dcketh
I'm New!

Post by dcketh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:45 pm

Now you've got me curious as to whether mine works or not, so I'll probably be messing with it tonight.
~ Dan ~
---
'66 Beetle Deluxe
'71 Westy Hardtop

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:21 pm

dcketh wrote:Now that I read this again I realize you were talking about painting over them to repair any breaks, which should work well..
Correct. My defroster works, but my friend dtrumbo made me go out and look at the grid in the sun. There are a couple of spots that are a little thin. I have some of the circuit paint in my computer parts stash, which is why I'm tempted to try it first.
dtrumbo wrote:This is what I bought, but haven't used yet.

That'll werk fer sher...get painting!!! :blackeye:

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Now I'm curious about Westy's.

Test for continuity (Black lead and ground). If it has continuity then it is either a short or working. OOOOH this is exciting!
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Shoot, I've never even tried to use the defroster, you'all are gonna get me motivated!