1976 Westfalia - Turns Over.......Flooded?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Fri May 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Live and learn right? Simple :pale:

So in all the wiggling when re-installing the stuff yes I did wiggle something lose the hose between the AFM and the intake was pulled off.When I re-connected it and tried to start it whaduyaknow!

Wow I felt like a moron, don't we all have those moments? You know the seen with Chris Farley when he is saying 'I'm such an idiot' 'so stupid'? However, it did teach me something!

I still need to check points, find out why it won't start without the pedal down a little, etc. I also need to find a source for the tools needed to troubleshoot the FI, anyone have one that they like?

Thanks everyone, I hope to contribute back to the forum with what I learn.

What is the blue finned box?

I'm off to wire up a horn I found in the Junk yard.....
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri May 16, 2008 1:38 pm

upnorthman wrote:When I re-connected it and tried to start it whaduyaknow!
Woo hoo! :cheers:
upnorthman wrote:You know the seen with Chris Farley when he is saying 'I'm such an idiot' 'so stupid'?
Yeah, but he got to sit next to Paul McCartney when he did it.
upnorthman wrote:I also need to find a source for the tools needed to troubleshoot the FI, anyone have one that they like?

All you need is a good voltmeter, which it sounds like you already have, a vacuum gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. I got mine here:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 828+448829

upnorthman wrote:What is the blue finned box?

It's a battery isolator that allows you to have two batteries. Both get charged by your alternator, but it isolates them so if one battery goes dead, it won't discharge the good one. It's typically used in camper buses.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!