Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Post by hambone » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Bus Boys generator bushes - down to nubs in less than 2 years. Probably Brazilian but not sure. Maybe Chinese?
I think I will be writing them a letter for what good it will do...
12,000 miles on a set of brushes! My my. Now I get to do lower brush gymnastics.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Ouch. Replace slotted screws with philips. Make sure your commutator is still round without a flat spot. Fingers work best, with of course the engine not running. I took off the fan belt to clean up mine, trying to do it with the engine running seemed just a bit too much, and didn't notice the flat spot until I got in there with my fingers.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 am

Hmm not sure how to categorize this.
Genuine Bosch rebuilt in USA starter for my '69 bus. First one installed, motor drew too much amperage and fried my battery, then stopped working completely. 2nd one installed seems to work OK so far.
It was nice of Autozone to exchange my 2 year old battery for free though.
Thank God it happened 1/2 mile from the parts store...
Also found out that many of my connections were a dirty corroded mess, but that's another story.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re:

Post by SlowLane » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:45 pm

NWbuspilot wrote:
Sluggo wrote:Bus Depot "OEM Quality" Spark Plug Wires. Could feel the charge when I rub my arm over the wire.
I'll second that. The shoddy insulation on these wires caused my coil output voltage to arc the the #1 negative terminal and fry my ECU.
Dang! Wish I had read this before ordering a set of BD "best available" wires. Just installed them tonight. Engine runs smooth, no light show in the engine bay. And it's too early to tell, but my chronically high head temp on #3 cylinder seems to now track the other three cylinders within a couple of degrees.

Guess time will tell.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Re:

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:49 am

SlowLane wrote:
NWbuspilot wrote:
Sluggo wrote:Bus Depot "OEM Quality" Spark Plug Wires. Could feel the charge when I rub my arm over the wire.
I'll second that. The shoddy insulation on these wires caused my coil output voltage to arc the the #1 negative terminal and fry my ECU.
Dang! Wish I had read this before ordering a set of BD "best available" wires. Just installed them tonight. Engine runs smooth, no light show in the engine bay. And it's too early to tell, but my chronically high head temp on #3 cylinder seems to now track the other three cylinders within a couple of degrees.

Guess time will tell.
Black wire insulation, or the grey with "7mm" written in white along their lengths?

The black wires shock the heck out of me when I run across them. The greys work fine, but the insulation is so delicate that it has been known to tear as you try to insert the wire in the plastic clips (always use lubricant when inserting wires into clips).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:23 am

Amskeptic wrote:The black wires shock the heck out of me when I run across them. The greys work fine, but the insulation is so delicate that it has been known to tear as you try to insert the wire in the plastic clips (always use lubricant when inserting wires into clips).
Colin
I've experienced both of those issues with Bosch wires from many sources. The ones I get at local auto parts stores seem to be good though. How many countries are making how many types of wires anyway?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Bosch parts are failing way too frequently, it's sad. I used to be proud to see that funky old logo, now I just hope it works. I'm surprised these once-respected companies would risk tarnishing their image.

Just had a set of new Bosch points that were so mis-aligned there was no way to salvage them.

With less/lower/no salaries, people will once again start demanding quality. We just can't afford the waste anymore.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Black wire insulation, or the grey with "7mm" written in white along their lengths?

The black wires shock the heck out of me when I run across them. The greys work fine, but the insulation is so delicate that it has been known to tear as you try to insert the wire in the plastic clips (always use lubricant when inserting wires into clips).
Colin
The new ones are darkish grey, not black. The brand is "Prenco", made in Canada http://www.prencocorp.com. They have pretty gold lettering on them saying "7.0mm Premium Silicone copper core cable". The set comes with two coil cables: one 13" and one 23". All cables are copper core. The quality seems to be at least as good as the Bosch ones they're replacing. The connectors are quite a snug fit into the distributor cap, and the plug ends grab onto the plug with authority. The plug ends themselves say "Bremi Germany" on them. Interesting: the long Bremi plug end is labelled as 1 kohm, whereas the long Bosch plug end is labelled as 1.4 kohm. The insulation seems rugged enough, but I don't use the factory clips, as they've never seemed to me to route the wires in a natural fashion.

The wires I'm replacing are the Bosch grey ones labelled "Bosch Ultra-premium 7mm Opti-layer copper core". The coil wire is not a copper core, but is also ultra-premium and opti-cored. I had no reason to believe that the old Bosch ones were bad. I'm just trying to cover all bases in getting prepared for the smog inspection. They haven't had many miles put on them, as my van has sat in storage for the last five years. If the new wires turn out to be a bad choice, well, lesson learned, and I can re-install the od Bosch ones.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:07 am

May I add Pertronix brand distributor from bus depot? Rebuild your old one... it's cheaper, and it will work better.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 am

luftvagon wrote:May I add Pertronix brand distributor from bus depot? Rebuild your old one... it's cheaper, and it will work better.
They make an actual distributor? Or are you talking about the points replacement. I am a fan of their points replacement system. Never heard of a pertronix dizzy but a stock dizzy is always best.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:26 am

"SKP" Brake light switches. Had two blow out in a brand new MC and squirt brake fluid everywhere as soon as the system built any pressure.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:02 pm

DjEep wrote:"SKP" Brake light switches. Had two blow out in a brand new MC and squirt brake fluid everywhere as soon as the system built any pressure.
I had the exact same experience. Mine were leaking from the wire terminals. Found two very old & dirty ones with VW logos on em and they've worked perfectly since.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:47 am

DjEep wrote:"SKP" Brake light switches. Had two blow out in a brand new MC and squirt brake fluid everywhere as soon as the system built any pressure.
Is there any way we can go up the supply chain and give 'em hell?
Colin

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 am

Finally located a good proper year headlight switch for my Westy. I had bought the standard BusDepot made in somewhere POS a few years ago. The problem with that switch was the headlights would cut out as you drove so you had to wiggle the switch to get contact again. Drove us crazy at night as also it would dim the lights some making it hard to see. I had taken it apart twice trying to improve the contacts and tighten the spring to no avail. Just had too much slop it the design.
Yay for Ken as he found a good one and I just installed it. Wow, click, click and smooth and no slop in operation. Dimmer works perfectly too! Headlights at a tap brighter and the alt light doesn't glow anymore with the headlights on.
Stupid POS repo item and find a German made OEM one if yours go out.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Finally located a good proper year headlight switch for my Westy. I had bought the standard BusDepot made in somewhere POS a few years ago. The problem with that switch was the headlights would cut out as you drove so you had to wiggle the switch to get contact again. Drove us crazy at night as also it would dim the lights some making it hard to see. I had taken it apart twice trying to improve the contacts and tighten the spring to no avail. Just had too much slop it the design.
Yay for Ken as he found a good one and I just installed it. Wow, click, click and smooth and no slop in operation. Dimmer works perfectly too! Headlights at a tap brighter and the alt light doesn't glow anymore with the headlights on.
Stupid POS repo item. Find a German made OEM one if yours go out.
Time to stash up on all the old quaint parts you can, folks. Looks like the new stuff is not getting any better.
Colin