'75 Bus Ignition Wiring Question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

'75 Bus Ignition Wiring Question

Post by tractoman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:50 am

While attempting to repair my leaky washer hoses at the valve in the steering column, and during removal of the turn signal switch plugs, the wires come flying off the ignition switch. I was able to get the ignition switch all plugged back in correctly, one wire at a time thanks to the Bentley, and then it hits me, shouldn't there be a plug on the end of these wires that plug into the ignition switch? Is there a source for a new one assuming there should be one or do I need a donor?
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:21 pm

That plastic piece should be easy to find, used.

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:57 pm

So where do I find this plastic plug? Is it available with a pigtail of wires on it somewhere? There should be one right?
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

KYLE
I'm New!

Post by KYLE » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:06 pm

I probably have the right terminals and an affordable crimp tool if you would like to avoid using a pigtail and splicing it in. You would need to make sure that your wires haven't been shortened too much.

If you are able to get the connector and need terminals and crimp tool, let me know.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:14 am

I have a dumbass hack method of wire splicing in tight confines, particularly with high amperage requirements. I do not like crimp connectors.

Splice your big wires back at least 3/4" . Slip a 1 1/2" piece of heat shrink over one of them. Mate the two spliced wires at the midpoint of each splice-back and twist the two together such that the end of each is lined up at the insulation of the other. Wind tightly. Get out the soldering gun and heat the midpoint of the exposed strand and put your rosin-core solder end on the other side. The instant that the solder flows release the soldering gun. Slide the heat shrink over the exposed tinned strands, and apply your Bic lighter to the heat shrink.

This method will allow you to run your wiring/harnesses through the stock tie down points and it will be more than up to any current demands.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

KYLE
I'm New!

Post by KYLE » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:11 pm

I like to do everything just as you described, but I also crimp the splice together with a splice clip.

It is still recommended to solder the connection, but I have found it faster to just make a secure crimp as opposed to twisting the wires together. Sometimes I am doing this up to 100 times a day and it saves my finger tips too.

I also make sure and use the adhesive lined shrink tube. It has a flowable inner layer that creates a sealed splice and avoids corrosion.