11%
Rebuild stock distributor 231 168 005
11%

Total votes: 18

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Mallory vs. ACN SVDA

Post by Jr. Buser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:02 am

Ok, I have read to death on distributors. The more I read, the more confused I seem to get. It seems the ACN SVDA is highly recommended by most. The stock distributor is a SVDA as well, so I see why this is a good choice.

The general perception seems to be that Pertronix is good as is Compufire. I think I understand this. Replace the old points with electrical. This too, makes sense. So far, so good.

Now the Mallory is thrown in the mix. Seeing as how the 009 is bashed so much, and the ACN is just a re-tooled 009, would I be foolish to not at least consider the Mallory with optical pickup? The difference is basically $120. Does the Mallory offer too much adjustability, or would this really be a benefit to me?

Obviously I want to do this right. From what I've seen, the distributor seems to get the most attention with regards to controversy. The fuel injection runs a close second (I am keeping the FI). I have no problem forking over the extra dough when it comes to the important stuff because I save a great deal of cash doing things myself. I consider the dizzy very important.

Is the Mallory unit with optical pickup and gray springs worth the extra $120, or is this money out the window? I'm not looking to make up extra $ in 6 fill-ups, I'm just looking for best way to treat my old bus.

Input is always appreciated.
Searching for reason in an unreasonable location.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:57 am

I think this decision depends on what you are going to do with the mechanical parts of the engine, and how much you are going to drive the Bus.

At one end is a stock engine with original VW heads, stock compression ratio, stock cam, etc. used as a "hobby" car. For that application, a stock distributor, with points, will be perfectly satisfactory.

At the other end is a "built" engine like a Raby Camper Special, or a custom build from Jim at The Air-Cooled Ranch - high performance camshaft, performance heads, higher compression, maybe even dual carbs, etc., that you are going to drive on a daily basis. In that case, you want the adjustability and fresh mechanicals that the Mallory provides.

In between is the stock distributor with a Pertronix, or the ACN SVDA.

In my case, I'm now running a stock engine configuration, and have a healthy original distributor. I figure why not take advantage of all the development VW did to optimize the distributor for a stock engine. I do have a Pertronix installed, because it came with the Bus!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:14 am

vwlover77 wrote:I think this decision depends on what you are going to do with the mechanical parts of the engine, and how much you are going to drive the Bus.
All going on a '78 Westfalia FI.

Good point, and under consideration. I will have a compression/leak down tester by Friday. That will determine the best answer to many questions. If compression and leak down is satisfactory, it'll be stock. If not satisfactory, I'll determine my next course of action based on new-year finances.

My hope is to use the bus for running kids to town. Minimum travel of 30 miles each way with lots of highway, plus stop-and-go traffic in town. Temps will be on my mind when deciding.

My main concern is not high performance, but reliability and consistency. If Pertronix means that I don't have to replace points every 3K, and it provides better performance and reliability, that's for me.

I fully agree with the stock configuration approach. I just want to take advantage of any improvements without compromising the integrity of the engine itself.

If I want to go fast, I'll drive my WRX.
I just want to drive cool now. :geek:

Brett

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:39 am

I have multiple Pertronix with nary a failure in many years of use and one Compufire that was very unreliable from day one that has now been replaced w / Pertronix. So my experience is opposite of Jims.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 am

Had both, haven't had a failure. Oldest is a Compufire, 8 years now.I like an svda from Aircooled.net, tell them what it's going in and have them put in the points replacement for you. You will be happy with it in a stock engine.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:27 am

Not like I need to say it ...but listen to Jim. =D>

I'll throw in a couple of things from my experience:

The ACN SVDA is great, the Pertronix is what worries me. The optical pickups on the Mallory would be a nice solution to calm that worry.

After a top end rebuild I was having (still am) some head temp issues, it would be VERY nice to be able to plug in some different spring combo's to try different advance curve set-ups. Besides, if you ever decide to give your engine some more OOMPH then you would be able to use the Mallory and some different springs to achieve your desired results.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Mallory vs. ACN SVDA

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:47 pm

Jr. Buser wrote:
A) The more I read, the more confused I seem to get.

B) Does the Mallory offer too much adjustability, or would this really be a benefit to me?

C) (I am keeping the FI)

D) I consider the dizzy very important.

E) My hope is to use the bus for running kids to town. Minimum travel of 30 miles each way with lots of highway, plus stop-and-go traffic in town. Temps will be on my mind when deciding.
A) Part of your confusion here is somewhat self-inflicted. You can multiply variables to the point of idiocy if you do not filter the information available to your specific needs.

B) Yes, of course a Mallory has too much adjustability and it would have no benefit to you if you have to ask. However, if you have already defined your needs and discovered a problem that cannot be addressed by a functional lubricated stock distributor, then a Mallory might be an actual solution to a specific problem. Much marketing hype studiously avoids asking you what you need, it tells you what they want you to think you might want to need. . . .

C) Stock fuel injection gets along quite well with a properly lubricated and adjusted stock distributor. If you are equipped with a dynomometer, then you could embark upon a fun and fulsome journey to see what tweaked advance curves might unleash extra horsepower. . . that is subsequently buried under the mass and inertia of a VW bus anyway.

D) Indeed, a distributor is a key element to a running engine. I have never seen an air-cooled VW run without one. I was already inflamed by the propaganda of 3,000 mile point adjustments. 12,000 miles is easy, and replacement intervals can easily stretch to 36,000 miles and beyond. They are stupid easy to maintain and removing the distributor on the Type 4 engine is a five minute job where your access to the points is superb. But let's say you want to dispense with adjusting points, then a Pertronix is a quicky-nifty minor "upgrade" that only requires that you keep red and black straight in your mind and don't leave the ignition on.
As far as advance curve adjustment flexibility, think carefully about your level of sophistication in combustion dynamics. These engines are so remarkably de-tuned that advance is a simple thing to meet the output potential of these engines. I don't know too many people who have actually felt and recorded advance problems other than faulty distributors.

E) Your needs, as elucidated here, are what we call "puttering around." I so severely doubt that you will have "temps" issues that you could ever attribute to factory engineering timing deficiencies. Just set up, tune, and keep clean your engine, it will repay you with reliable economical performance.
Colin
(I read of Jim's mention to "remove and block off the cold start valve" to allow a Unilite to sit there like a dodo bird in a sparrow's nest. Why would you want to trade in an engine that WILL NOT START COLD, for horsepower that might serve your bus in collecting a couple of points at the 2008 CODE Series races. . .?? Tongue-in-cheek here, Jim)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:42 pm

Thank you all for the honest input. I'd quote you all, but still haven't figured out how to quote more than one person. I'll learn. Here goes.

My old distributor is rusty, dirty, and cruddy inside with no felt visible. That's why I wish to replace it. It has suffered at the hands of someone who knew very little and cared less.

If I am going to replace the distributor, which I have already sold myself on the idea, I don't want to regret my decision once it's done. Replacing points and condenser is not fresh in my mind. I haven't done this since helping dad do it on VW's and Audi's as a kid. That was 30 years ago. I like the idea of electronic ignition, but like Colin said, it's not hard to get to the distributor on the Type 4. I'm just not familiar with it now. I don't have a problem doing it, in fact I love maintaining all my vehicles.

This is my finest bus. I have 4 others and when all is said and done, would like to have 3 fine running buses. That said, I hope to be very familiar with every aspect of the engine in due time. I have pulled one already, so I feel comfortable dropping an engine. It's nothing like a modern Nissan. I want to learn, which is why I ask for input from experienced owners like yourselves. Thank you for your patience.

My confusion is solely self-inflicted. It confuses me when one person has 100% confidence in X brand and 0% in Y brand. The next person is completely opposite. Clarity is what I seek.

I try to use Ratwell as a good source, since the detail is good and the years are the same. I try to keep in mind Canadian and California emissions differences, which I readily admit I do not know. It hasn't deterred me so far.

I have convinced my wife to forgo her Tribeca in lieu of camping with me in my '78 next year. Being broken down on the side of an unfamiliar highway will have serious repercussions on my bus projects. That is why I am exploring every option.

As for the 3000 mile adjustment. :pale: Brain confused points with valve adjustment. Like I said, information overload currently. I'm trying to isolate the info I digest to the immediate project in hand. Please don't be inflamed, and I don't plan on racing my bus until I get a new camper top seal. Oh, and get it running. :joker:

Thanks again.

Brett

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:54 pm

I have both the ACN SVDA and the Mallory Unilite with vacuum advance. No problems with either of them.
79 VW Bus

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Having revived my current daily driver which is a 79 and have two other VW's parked in the driveway I'll offer up some simple advice.

If your stock distributor is shot then just get the ACN-SVDA. While the mallory is way cool and has the optical pickups and a billion spring combos it's definitely not necessary for a daily driver.

I may toss one of those in my 71 camper that has a bigger engine but for the 79 I'd just get the ACN one and take that extra cash and spend it on one of a million other items for the bus. I've read so many reviews on that one I don't think it would let you down.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:20 pm

Update:

I received the shims in the mail today!!! I'll start re-assembly soon. I have not made any decisions yet on distributor purchase. Since I already purchased all new components for it, I'll see what happens upon re-install. If I feel it is the weak link, I'll make it my priority replacement. I'm leaning towards the ACN distributor. I still haven't decided on Pertronix or Compufire either. I hate making a purchasing decision without being fully informed, and this seems like one of those moments.

Thanks for all the input and education!

Brett

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:29 pm

AC.net used to be only Compufire. I believe John has had a bad run of Compufires and is now using Pertronix. When you call him to order, he will fill you in. He doesn't like selling junk and I've always been happy with my purchases. I'm running an SVDA, with Compufire, from him in my Dune Buggy with a screamin' 2275 long block from Chico Performance Racing. It scoots.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.